News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What have you guys done to me?

Started by Icefire, March 05, 2014, 11:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icefire

I've only been into this new hobby of restoring old phones a few weeks...started out buying an AE50 for my old 1952 house, but now, find myself reading all the back pages on all the collector sites, searching e-bay at late hours looking for rare phones at good prices....

I just bought my second old phone, an AE-40 in good shape for $35...Stop me before I buy another!!

I've barely started on my AE 50 restoration...now I have it's matching desk phone...

I have the sickness. Wife is gonna kill me...

persido

Same thing happened to me, I found a 1937 302 in the trash.....and now I have phones all over the house  :)

Scot

LarryInMichigan

Someone should organize group visits to the homes of hopeless collectors to scare away beginners, along the lines of the programs which bring troubled teenagers to visit prisons.  If only these naive aspiring collectors could see how collectors have to deal with the rooms (and rooms), shelves, cabinets, and even floors filled with old phones, the ridicule of spouses, relatives and friends, and the constant scouring of ebay, craigslist, flea markets, garage and estate sales, and antique and resale shops, they might be scared into changing their ways before it is too late ;)  Perhaps someone could get a government grant to pay for such a program.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

BTW, phones can be a dangerous stepping stone to other things like radios, clocks, electric fans, and who knows what else!

Larry

paul-f

In my case, phones were a "logical" step from books, slide rules, typewriters, mechanical calculators, digital watches, hydrometers,...

What next?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

BDM

Quote from: paul-f on March 05, 2014, 03:24:40 PM
In my case, phones were a "logical" step from books, slide rules, typewriters, mechanical calculators, digital watches, hydrometers,...

What next?

Antique radio collecting naturally. Also if you're not already a HAM operator, you get "Radiomania" disease which causes you to spend thousands of green backs on HF related gear and other goodies :p
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Matilo Telephones

Owww, Icefire, and I really thought: well lets not bang on about phonitis in his introduction thread. He has one phone. Lets not overdo it.

Anyway, a good way to win over the wife, is let her pick out a model she likes and get it for her.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Contempra

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on March 05, 2014, 05:55:22 PM
Owww, Icefire, and I really thought: well lets not bang on about phonitis in his introduction thread. He has one phone. Lets not overdo it.

Anyway, a good way to win over the wife, is let her pick out a model she likes and get it for her.

Some wifes are not so crazy Arwin.... no...lol .. Sometime they are intelligentes and not blondes hey !..sorry for the blondes, it's just a joke... I love you don't worry  ;) ;D

Sargeguy

It's not too late for you-you only have two phones.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

I usually warn about our disease fairly quickly but I saw you only had one phone so I backed off. Should have spoken up.
Greg is right, you only have 2, you can still be saved! Go check out some of the collections pictures. Show them to your wife.
That should do it ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Icefire:

After 200+ phones, all I can tell you is that there is no way back!
Jorge

rfkimba

Icefire feel free to show  your newly restored phones to your friends as hopefully one(possibly and antique admirer) will be so taken as to join you. You may find the beautiful oak wall phones interesting also.

My wife only required me to put her up at a nice hotel for our first phone meeting this June in Lancaster. She refused to drive with me to the Michigan meeting for 11 hours. I hope her price won't rise with time.
Bob

Contempra

Quote from: rfkimba on March 06, 2014, 12:36:32 AM
Icefire feel free to show  your newly restored phones to your friends as hopefully one(possibly and antique admirer) will be so taken as to join you. You may find the beautiful oak wall phones interesting also.

My wife only required me to put her up at a nice hotel for our first phone meeting this June in Lancaster. She refused to drive with me to the Michigan meeting for 11 hours. I hope her price won't rise with time.
Bob

More phones = much money lol the more you buy some phones, the more your wife will want something expensive ..... Normal heh !.. it's the life :D

Icefire

Yeah, I think it's too late, I just bid on another AE40 for a good price, will know in an hour. That's 3, should be enough to keep me busy for projects for a bit. I'll post pix of my progress, pic of my first AE50 is over in the introduction thread, in "hello from Northern California".
Edit: yep, confirmed. I have 3 old phones now. Just nabbed a nice AE 40 for under $16.00. They didn't know what it was and needed to sell to move.
Now I'll stop....

Phonesrfun

You're hooked.  We corrupted you.  No going back now!  Not even a 12-step meeting.

-Bill G