News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric AM-63

Started by Slal, December 08, 2016, 07:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Been hoping to find one of these as companion piece to similar model with #24 dial. (Both are featured in AE 4033: July 1939 - "Private Telephone Systems & Accessories")

Hopefully no one has put a warbler in the base, bluetooth rubbish, or similar.  Otherwise seller offers returns for legitimate reasons.

So usual questions for when it gets here.

Other than catalog mentioned, where can I find out more about this model?

From seller photos, looks on the up & up?

Thanks

--Bruce

andre_janew

It looks like an intercom phone.  I don't think it is a 6 button TT model!

Slal

Quote from: andre_janew on December 08, 2016, 07:45:59 PM
It looks like an intercom phone.  I don't think it is a 6 button TT model!

Heh.  Decades ahead of its time for TT, but maybe 3 or 4 numbers short.  ; )

Only thing that might worry me is the missing screws for strap that would've held down cap.  (Compare to attachment one.)

And of course whether I can get it to work as an extension will be interesting.   12 volt LB, or optional transformer.  Can't exactly have a car battery in the office where some of my nicer pieces are.  : 0 !

AE_Collector

Quote from: Slal on December 09, 2016, 02:50:49 PM
Only thing that might worry me is the missing screws for strap that would've held down cap.  (Compare to attachment one.)

I am probably being dense this evening but not sure what you are referring to?

Terry

stub

Slal,
           When intercom gets in post pics of everything ! 
           I have the AM 65 6 button .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Slal

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 09, 2016, 11:05:40 PM
I am probably being dense this evening but not sure what you are referring to?

Terry

Should've been more specific.  Seller's photo of the bottom is missing two screws that would've held strap for a 1 m.f. condenser.   Was comparing it to bottom of mine rather than opening, but here is.

Quote from: stub on December 10, 2016, 01:14:57 AM
Slal,
           When intercom gets in post pics of everything ! 
           I have the AM 65 6 button .  stub

Ah, the little wall phone.  Reference photo?  : )

Anyway, crossing fingers that bake-lite doesn't arrive cracked or broken. Long road trip from New Hampshire to Texas.   

Slal

Here it is, so now for the question in another post.  ; )

Slal

Can the ringer be made to work using CB?

If so, will I need some sort of capacitor and where to to into the circuit?

Works very nice as an extension w/o ringer, but I like things to be fully functional if possible.  : )

Thanks

--Bruce

unbeldi

It looks to be a low-voltage direct current (D.C.) ringer. That set screw and the spring against which it pushes in rest position close the circuit from the power source. When voltage is applied this energizes the electromagnet which pulls the armature against its core and as a consequence breaks the contact between set screw and spring. The magnet therefore releases closing the circuit once more and the cycle repeats, thereby causing the clapper to strike the bell repeatedly. The set screw is adjustable to permit optimizing this function.
Many PABX systems used DC power for ringing, just like many intercoms used batteries.
My guess is that is requires anywhere from 20 to 30 V, because that is what many intercom and PABX and PBX systems also used for talk battery.  PS: looking at the catalog page that is posted, it states that these used 12 volt DC.  You can find many 12 VDC wall-plug power cubes that deliver 1 or 2 amps very cheaply, say $3 to $5.  These are very commonly used for all kinds of small electronic devices.  And would provide for signaling of your set, but to ring from the telephone line you need a relay adapter that senses the ringing of the line.

Slal

Quote from: unbeldi on December 12, 2016, 12:27:58 PM
to ring from the telephone line you need a relay adapter that senses the ringing of the line.

Great.  Happened to have a wall adapter from an old DSL modem.  At 12VDC .42A, seems to be just what doctor ordered.  Ringer works fine.

Can you recommend a relay?  Not my area of expertise. 

Search revealed dozens.  One that looks promising is like something out of an old Popular Mechanics magazine.  Didn't know they still made kits. 

"Velleman K8086 Telephone Ring Detector with Relay Output"

That or something similar?  Some of them on eBay are > $100 which is far more than willing to pay just to have a phone ring.   ; )

Thanks

--Bruce

unbeldi

Quote from: Slal on December 13, 2016, 06:02:12 PM
Great.  Happened to have a wall adapter from an old DSL modem.  At 12VDC .42A, seems to be just what doctor ordered.  Ringer works fine.

Can you recommend a relay?  Not my area of expertise. 

Search revealed dozens.  One that looks promising is like something out of an old Popular Mechanics magazine.  Didn't know they still made kits. 

"Velleman K8086 Telephone Ring Detector with Relay Output"

That or something similar?  Some of them on eBay are > $100 which is far more than willing to pay just to have a phone ring.   ; )

Thanks

--Bruce

http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k8086.pdf

Seem these can still be bought on Amazon for about $20, also on the Velleman website.

This one requires a separate 12 V supply, seems like it could be combined with the ringing source.
Telephone hobby books are full of these kinds of circuits, IIRC.  I think it would be possible to build a simple one that is powered from the telephone line.

Jim Stettler

Mike Sandman ( Sandman.com ) has a lot of relays for homebrew telephone projects. These relays are offered to do telephone related projects.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike has a lot off good info on his site, as well as cool tools  and some "interesting" catalog items as well.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Slal

Might see what Mouser has, or try a small ringer from a wall phone if can get the dimensions.  Call me stingy, but $20 for an outside box just to make it ring doesn't seem worth it. 

"Sandman" did indeed have some interesting items.  Didn't see any DIY projects unless archived under older 'tech updates.'  Cool site though. 

Will update if I call them, or ever get it to work.

Thanks for replies,

--Bruce