News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cheap Japanese Phone - More Pictures Posted

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 13, 2012, 05:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just one this: ebay link with the only bid.  I am assuming that it is Japanese, probably one imported by Tandy/Radio Shack during the 1970s.

Larry

TelePlay

Yup, and you can buy a new one for 29,800 from Nippon Tele . . .

http://tinyurl.com/7zms542

LM Ericsson

It does look like a cheaper one... I have a pair of some good quality Japanese phones.
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: LM Ericsson on May 13, 2012, 08:42:09 PM
It does look like a cheaper one... I have a pair of some good quality Japanese phones.

Would you like to trade :)?

Larry

LM Ericsson

I don't think I want to part company with these!  ;D
Regards,
-Grayson

LM Ericsson

Actually that phone looks like it is maybe an NEC possibly the later models with the flat bells inside. You can see that the plungers are white. The plungers on a Radioshack would be clear.
Regards,
-Grayson

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on May 13, 2012, 07:41:28 PM
Yup, and you can buy a new one for 29,800 from Nippon Tele . . .

http://tinyurl.com/7zms542

Just looking at the phones there, and I quite like the 2-tone green ones, it's like a homage to the GPO 700s of the same colour scheme, but with a different shape altogether...  :)

TelePlay

Okay, any thoughts on what that back cradle is used for, to put a call on hold, maybe?

Other than that, the phone has nice lines. Wonder what's under the hood?

And, if I'm reading the prices right, 35,000 JPY is about $425 US dollars. Plus shipping and any customs fees. Pricey, so $4 plus shipping seems to be a deal if it's the same phone.

LM Ericsson

I like the color on this one. Too bad its sold out.
Regards,
-Grayson

david@london

..............surely,   the shape is pretty much like a kellogg redbar, esp that semi circular cut-out in front of the cradle, also side contouring.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: david@london on May 15, 2012, 05:07:32 PM

..............surely,   the shape is pretty much like a kellogg redbar, esp that semi circular cut-out in front of the cradle, also side contouring.

It does look that day, doesn't it?  I will have to do a side-by-side comparison after my phone arrives.

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on May 14, 2012, 09:39:16 PM
Okay, any thoughts on what that back cradle is used for, to put a call on hold, maybe?

Looking at the description of the phone, it's a music box, so, presumably if you're putting someone on "hold", then it would play music down the phone while you're away... ???

LM Ericsson

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 15, 2012, 06:08:09 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on May 14, 2012, 09:39:16 PM

Looking at the description of the phone, it's a music box, so, presumably if you're putting someone on "hold", then it would play music down the phone while you're away... ???
Like those hold lines that play music on business phone lines.
Regards,
-Grayson

twocvbloke

Quote from: LM Ericsson on May 15, 2012, 07:03:37 PMLike those hold lines that play music on business phone lines.

Don't need a business line for MOH, just a phone system that has a music/audio input... ;D

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today, and it looks better than the listing picture.  In the listing picture, the color appeared to be an ugly beige, but the phone is more like a slightly yellowish ivory.  I added a line cord and tested it, and it does work, but the sound quality from the transmitter could be better.  the dial governor was missing its spring, so someone had used a copper wire in its place, and the dial returned too quickly to dial properly on my line, so I adjusted the wire.  The ringer works well.  Now I need to find a dial center card retainer ring.

The overall quality of the materials and construction of the phone is poor.  About what might be expected from a 1960s Japanese product.  The handset grip is actually two pieces pressed together.

Below are some pictures.  I did a quick side-by-side comparison with a Kellogg 1000 ("Redbar"), and while the lines of this phone are somewhat reminiscent, the dimensions are quite different.

Larry