News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 706 or 746? How to tell the difference?

Started by LM Ericsson, March 04, 2016, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

TwoCV:
Does just the middle one of the three have the redesigned case in the handset area?

Those look nicer with the handset matching dial ring where as the one close to me (first post here) has the dial ring that (almost) matches the housing which to me doesn't look as nice.

Terry

twocvbloke

All three are later Mk2 cases with the stepped cradle (as opposed to the initial sloped cradle which was troublesome for some as the handset didn't quite press the hookswitch), but the middle one is my MOD Mk.28, with a handset clamp to keep it on-hook in wobbly situations... :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8077

AE_Collector

I have trouble identifying the My 2 with indent for handset in pictures. It looked to me like your middle one had a more definite recessed area but looking again I think it is just the shadow from the handset clamp.

Terry

twocvbloke

AE_Collector

Yeah I thought we had and it was only a year ago. I recalled you mentioning the failure to hang up as well as the AE80 similarity. I'll merge the two together once everyone is tired of this topic and moves on to some even more mentally stimulating discussion!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 08, 2018, 12:08:22 AM
Yeah I thought we had and it was only a year ago.

It's okay, I finished my Maths & English college course last week, and I've forgotten most of it already, my memory's just that brilliant...  ;D

ThePillenwerfer

The trouble about colours as that they change with age.  I've got a grey 746 that I would now describe as khaki whereas others take on a pink hue.

As for the change in the shape of 746 cases see below.

The circuits of the 706 and 746 were the same but the latter used more modern and physically smaller components.  Also on the 706 the regulator could be taken out of use whereas it can't on the 746.  The 706 was the first to have such a thing but it was found that there wasn't a need to be able to disable it.  Some of the 706-look-alikes made for private systems didn't have regulators.  In fact the ATE Telephone Number 6 used the same circuit as the older Bakelite GPO 332.