"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

10 Button Moss Green WE 1234G (1965)

Started by FABphones, October 27, 2019, 07:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Came across one of these.

Outside it has a few areas of paint in need of attention, inside it doesn't look too bad to me.
It needs a replacement handset.
I can see it has something going on with a lock, until I receive it not quite sure what though, it appears to be there on the inside.

I'm sure you guys will help and point a few things out, but hopefully it isn't too poor.

A few questions:
Can anyone help me with which model this is - I can't quite make out the code on the back.
1234G-  51 or S1?
Next part might read 1-68? ETA: The date is confirmed: 1-65

And which handset is correct for this?

It wasn't expensive so finding any parts I need hopefully won't be too painful. I will add more photos when it arrives.

Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

CJ....handset looks correct to me...nice find....Doug
Kidphone

The top lock is screwed on inside out and upside down. Which is lucky on your part. You have the lock that you likely can get a key for.
Being a 10 button makes it even more desirable! Lucky you!
The handset is correct for that phone.

kleenax

Quote from: FABphones on October 27, 2019, 07:04:05 PM
Came across one of these.

Outside it has a few areas of paint in need of attention, inside it doesn't look too bad to me.
It needs a replacement handset.
I can see it has something going on with a lock, until I receive it not quite sure what though, it appears to be there on the inside.

I'm sure you guys will help and point a few things out, but hopefully it isn't too poor.

A few questions:
Can anyone help me with which model this is - I can't quite make out the code on the back.
1234G-  51 or S1?
Next part might read 1-68?

And which handset is correct for this?

It wasn't expensive so finding any parts I need hopefully won't be too painful. I will add more photos when it arrives.
Thanks.
CJ;

this is a VERY rare phone!
After you get it, take that top-lock off and see what number it is; I should have a key for it for you. 1234G is the model #.
Also, has the wrong coin vault door on it. The one
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

FABphones

Quote from: kleenax on October 27, 2019, 08:59:56 PM
....this is a VERY rare phone!

...After you get it, take that top-lock off and see what number it is; I should have a key for it for you....

Also, has the wrong coin vault door on it....

Oh my.

It is due to arrive later this week,  I will check the number asap. Thank you.
There are no keys at all with this phone.

Do you have the correct vault door available (I think your post cut off some text)?

Thanks again.

poplar1

-51 ( "dash 51" ) is the color code (green).
1-68 is the assembly date.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

kleenax

Quote from: FABphones on October 27, 2019, 09:14:49 PM
Oh my.

Do you have the correct vault door available (I think your post cut off some text)?

Thanks again.

Yes, I have the correct vault door and lock available.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Quote from: FABphones on October 27, 2019, 09:14:49 PM
Oh my.

Thanks again.

I sold 4 of these (3 different colors) for Paul Vaverchak's estate when he died, and although the Black one sold for the most money, I recall the Green example selling for over $800.00. I'm sure they wouldn't bring that price now, but 5 years ago, a nice Black 1234G would sell for $650 - $900 USD.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

andre_janew

Isn't 1-68 a bit late for a 10 button phone? 

Gary Z

I have one dated 12-64

FABphones

Quote from: Roody on October 28, 2019, 03:55:15 PM
I have one dated 12-64

Nice. Do you have a link to a thread about it?

As yet we are not exactly sure of the date of the one I found, gave the '1-68?' a question mark as just as easily might read 64/65.... At the time of typing this the code photo above has been expanded 67 times so I think we are all struggling a bit to read it. Lots of investigating to do when it turns up.

What is yours like inside? A couple of inner photos to match up those above would be a nice comparison.  :)

Would you mind adding a photo of the centre of your handset to this thread too so we can see the writing there (also for comparison)?

Thanks.

HarrySmith

Nice find! Not an easy one to locate. I found a wiring diagram for it in the library.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

Well, I thought 1-68 was a bit late for a 10 button phone because I thought 1967 was the last year for them.

AT2796

Too cool phone!
Pay phones don't really get me excited, much less a tt payphone, but I'll have to make an exception for yours!
Nice score!
Andy

Gary Z

Here are some pics of mine dated 12-64. It has several other dates throughout, even one with the refurb red R. I'm sure they put a lot of research and money in the transfer from dial to push button, and wanted to get their monies worth out of them. Just my thoughts. The handset says "Bell System Property. Not For Sale. Western Electric. It looks like an original mounting board also. I am missing the center top lock. What would it have taken?

Gary Z