News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric <AE> 88T Speakerphone

Started by SUnset2, November 02, 2019, 08:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

I found this Beige Automatic Electric <AE> 88T Speakerphone at an estate sale yesterday.  I think the estate was that of a former General Telephone employee, as he had a some ephemera that wasn't very interesting, such as a retired employee directory.  I did get a book on the history of GTE.  There had been a spacemaker that went before I got there.

The phone was very clean, I did not do any cleaning or polishing.  It did have a gray half-modular cord on it, but they had saved the original beige cord with 4-prong plug, so I put it back on.  I was please to find out that it actually works, though it isn't very loud.  It is powered from the telephone line.  And I paid $25 for it.

Stormcrash

Wow! Talk about a great find, especially for only $25!

Looks to have yellowed slightly but you're right that thins is nice and polished looking already. Must've been cared for very well indeed. These old speakerphones are fascinating to me, especially that this set is line powered, makes it much more amenable to collecting and using compared to other sets that need a power supply and more complicated installation even if it does mean its not as loud

Jim Stettler

This is a find of the month type find. You done good.
Please submit it in  the November find of the month.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

SUnset2

I think it is missing the lamp cap, but that is probably impossible to find.  The lamp doesn't flash.  I might try replacing the neon lamp, and if that doesn't help, maybe the capacitor behind it.  I'm probably not going to make this my main user speakerphone, the WE 4A is a lot louder.  Still, I've never seen one of these before, so I suspect it isn't very common.  And it is cool looking.

LarryInMichigan

I don't recall ever seeing one of those before.  I wonder if that was ever an official product.  Great find!

Larry

stub

SUnset2,
               Great find !!!! A non-working  AE 88 AT Conversion set lamp cover will fit . Check your PM .
               Went and looked ,sorry it has the lamp cover missing also .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield