"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 305-P Magneto Set

Started by pnwphtec, July 25, 2015, 01:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnwphtec

Hello

I am getting close to finishing the restoration project of this magneto set. Ready to tackle the inside wiring.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a Western Electric 305-P compact Magneto wood wall Set?

Thanks in advance!

unbeldi

The 305 types (1305) were essentially the same as the 1317 types, except they didn't have the batteries contained inside the housings. It was for use in small spaces.  The batteries would be installed in a separate battery box somewhere further away.

The P-suffix indicates a 1000 Ω ringer, and a No. 22 3-bar generator for use on lightly loaded lines.

Here is a circuit diagram for a 317, I would expect the 315 to be essentially identical. Both came in a variety of similar suffix models.

The condenser at the C terminal point isn't shown as connected. It may have been supplied on some models, or may have been an optional feature.  It needs to be arranged as needed. It was intended in a wiring mode so that the set could still be rung, even if the set was unintentionally left off-hook.

pnwphtec

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have the 1317 wiring info already.

Based on the original damaged wiring harness, the 1305-P is not wired like the 1317 series sets at all. Same functionality, but a different wiring configuration.

What I am looking for is a copy of the original P-XXXXX circuit label that was usually found pasted inside the front door of the set. See attached picture of a damaged label.

unbeldi

Quote from: pnwphtec on July 25, 2015, 04:58:59 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I have the 1317 wiring info already.

Based on the original damaged wiring harness, the 1305-P is not wired like the 1317 series sets at all. Same functionality, but a different wiring configuration.

What I am looking for is a copy of the original P-XXXXX circuit label that was usually found pasted inside the front door of the set. See attached picture of a damaged label.

Well, that diagram fragment shows the identical circuit on the right-hand side, so it can't be much different.  All of WECo's LB sets of the time with the No. 13 induction coil use the same basic circuit.

PS: That label lists 305E, not -P; what is embossed on the frame?

unbeldi

Here is the circuit for the 301A fiddleback-type wall mount unit, which is probably same vintage as the 305.

Same circuit, essentially.  But we see that the receiver was inserted on the other side of the induction coil.