News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink phones and road trip

Started by Phonesrfun, August 08, 2009, 08:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the pink phones.  I think some have hinted that they could "put up" with a pink phone.

There is a phone collector that is in New York that is active on both the club listservers who is sometimes kidded about his having a pink collection going on and that he is always scouting out pink phones.  By far, the pinks always seem to garner the biggest sales $$ on e-Bay too.

Pink just happens to also be one of my favorite colors.  Many years ago, I think it was in the mid '70's, it was popular for women especially to pay actual money to have their skin colors analyzed for their best colors to wear.  My wife got a complimentary one of these sessions, so she brought me along.  When she was done, the lady turned to me and asked if I wanted mine done too.  What the heck, I thought and was sure it would turn out that the best colors for me to wear are browns and stuff like that.  Turns out that I am a "summer", and pinks and other pastels are the best colors for me to wear!

So, I daringly went out and bought a pink dress shirt.  Got nothing but compliments on it, mostly from the ladies, and an occasional jab from a neandrathol sort of guy.

Bottom line is that I have a couple pink shirts and I wear them to work every once in a while.  I really do like the pink phones and I am proud to say that.  So, bring on the Ha Ha's....I have heard it all before, and it doesn't fase me a bit.

On a different topic, today, I went on a 150-mile each way road trip to a couple small towns in Eastern Oregon.  One in particular was because I remembered from about a year and a half ago one shop had a Kellogg like the one NYFED has been showing, and I wanted to refresh my memory as to how much it was if it was still there.  I was pretty sure it would still be there because I also remembered that it had a pretty high price on it, but could not remember what it was.

Anyway, that particular shop was closed today, but the phone is still there, as I could see it in the window.  Pretty much junkers everywhere else.  There was a black 554 from the 60's with a partially melted cover and dial shroud for $18 that I did not even make an offer on.  There was also a lineman's butt set with a broken dial and a chunk missing from the cover over the transmitter for $10 that I also turned down.  I already have colored 554's and I already have 2 other style butt sets, so I did not need these two.

So, I used up 3/4 a tank of gas and came home empty handed.  I did write down the name and number of the one with the Kellogg, however.

Oh well.   Maybe next time.

-Bill

-Bill G