News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wooden phone ID

Started by Greg G., August 28, 2014, 02:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Help me ID what type of wood phone this is and any obvious problems.  I know the transmitter cone is missing, no wire for the receiver.  I'm not real knowledgeable about these, but the wood looks like it may be in too good of condition.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Any side or interior views?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

The receiver appears to be Stromberg-Carlson. Here is a S-C phone for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351087805497
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

All of the terminals are apparently missing from the top.  There should be terminals for the two line wires and probably a lightning arrestor between them.

Larry

rdelius

That set appears to be SC to me but the shelf might be a replacement

wds

The transmitter arm and receiver are SC.  Not sure about the rest without seeing the insides.
Dave

Greg G.

I asked for more pics, it's an SC.  I'm wondering about that hole on the left side where the receiver cradle comes out, looks like something's missing.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

It looks like nearly all of the hardware had been removed so that the wood could be stripped, and much of it has not been put back.  Unless this phone is really cheap, I wouldn't bother with it.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 31, 2014, 06:43:11 AM
It looks like nearly all of the hardware had been removed so that the wood could be stripped, and much of it has not been put back.  Unless this phone is really cheap, I wouldn't bother with it.

Larry

It's being sold as a lot with about 12-14 other phones, all of them from the 20s-30s era, including a couple of subsets, for $500.  500/12 would make it about $41+, give or take.  I wasn't so much interested in this one as I was most of the others.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Brinybay on August 31, 2014, 02:17:40 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 31, 2014, 06:43:11 AM

Larry

It's being sold as a lot with about 12-14 other phones, all of them from the 20s-30s era, including a couple of subsets, for $500.  500/12 would make it about $41+, give or take.

I suppose that the magneto and receiver together should be worth more than $41, but I doubt that the phone as it is is worth much.  I am hardly an expert on wood phones, but for most models, it seems that the supply exceeds the demand.

Larry