and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a risky Panasonic KX-T30810BE...

Started by twocvbloke, January 15, 2015, 12:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I was the only bidder too, won it for £4.99 (£13 postage though):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131396519888

The risky part is that the seller said that he cleared the memory on it and then couldn't get it to respond, so, it could just be spare parts, or I could have something with a really simple issue, but, I won't know 'til I get it... :)

Nit sure why I bid on it considering I have a working 616, I guess I just felt a bit sorry for the thing, having used a 308 at the computer shop and knowing how reliable they are it seems a shame to let it go to landfill if it can be repaired (assuming it needs repairing)... :)

Obligatory picture time:

twocvbloke

Well, I got the unit today, and as the seller stated, it had problems after being programmed, but as mentioned in another thread, I opened it up and found some of that component-securing goop slopped round the EPROM and I presume an SRAM chip which tracked over to a capacitor and an oscillator, peeled and scraped it off the board & components, making sure to clean out any debris, and hey presto, it's happy as larry, the only issue it has is the lack of a backup battery meaning it's programming defaults back to January 1st 1991 and Pulse-dialling on all lines (had that issue with my 616, it's a UK programming feature it seems)... :)

Nick in Manitou

Cool!  I'm glad that it works.  You've inspired me to go goop pickin' on my 616.

Fabius

Good information. My 616 is working as it should so I'm not going to go goo picking (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but if there's a problem later on then that will be done. Thanks.

I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Personally I'd go goo-picking as soon as, depending on where it's crossing it could damage components with stray voltage going where it doesn't belong, especially if it's going over the main EPROM which holds all it's firmware, which you really don't want to lose!! :o

I might open up my 616, see if it has any pickable goo...

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 20, 2015, 10:13:17 AM
. . . the only issue it has is the lack of a backup battery meaning it's programming defaults back to January 1st 1991 . . .

Went looking for a replacement battery for mine and found this one online. About $12 each and an exact replacement right down to the connector. If you are thinking of getting a battery for your unit, all the info for the battery is on the package so using that in Google you may be able to find one for sale on the other side of the pond.

twocvbloke

Only problem is, getting those in this country, since getting my 616 I've looked a number of times and there's none to be had here, and the cost of importing is a bit steep for something so small, I may make up my own batteries using off-the-shelf tagged cells, not too hard to achieve really, plenty of tagged 2.4v NiCad button cells out there that can add up to about the same mAh capacity... :)

twocvbloke

Or maybe possibly buy a couple of these (why do they never show up when I search for them?? These cropped up in a related items thing!!!)... ::)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290913279783

Description's a bit wonky donkey, but, the picture says it all, assuming the pictured item is the one they offer...

TelePlay

I think this is the same battery that I first bought locally from Batteries Plus only to find the connector did not match and the battery was too large for the 616 battery well (note the 110mAh 2-cell vs the 300-400 mAh 3 cell battery).

Unfortunately, the KX-T308 is now a Panasonic cordless phone, which I think is the use for this battery, at least that's what the Batteries Plus add shows.

Amazon also sells the green 3-cell battery in the US for $12 plus $5 shipping. (the top black battery is a Rayovac from Batteries Plus, the bottom green battery is from Amazon, same picture as the one from the UK web site)

TelePlay

Here is another source for the replacement battery.

This picture is smaller but it shows the connector better. Don't know if they ship internationally. They want $12 US plus shipping, same as Interstate Battery.

They also have other items available, including a like-new 30310 for under $200.

Digi-Key Link to JST connector page, SMP-02 plug and SMR-02 receptical and connector parts page.

twocvbloke

Sounding more and more likely that I'll build a battery (or two, need one for the 616 as it needs a replacement as it's OEM Panasonic P-01H-F2G1 battery's a bit on the tired side)... ???

Comparing the connector size of the one I found on ebay versus my OEM panasonic battery from the 616, the pictured battery is of the same scale as my actual battery, but obviously if they're not the same battery, then it could be a bit of a problem... :-\

Fabius

Quote from: TelePlay on January 20, 2015, 08:51:30 PM

Went looking for a replacement battery for mine and found this one online. About $12 each and an exact replacement right down to the connector. If you are thinking of getting a battery for your unit, all the info for the battery is on the package so using that in Google you may be able to find one for sale on the other side of the pond.

Do you happen to have the UPC (universal product code) number from the other side of the packaging?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on January 21, 2015, 09:17:29 AM
Do you happen to have the UPC (universal product code) number from the other side of the packaging?

Picture is worth a few words. Close up of the connector and a mm scale on the battery also attached.

Fabius

Thanks for posting the back side. I scanned the bar code with the scanner app on my iphone and there's nothing in the url database for that number. When I enter it manually to the online url database it also says no record. An old package?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on January 21, 2015, 11:05:11 PM
An old package?

Don't know. Here is the link to my source, where I got mine. It's a special order, a 30 day delivery from order date. They are now $12.99 plus shipping.

It may be old packaging if they send a "one of" order to the factory in China, have them build one, put it in an old package and ship it by slow boat from China for redelivery in the US. That 30 day time frame would fit that scenario.

TEL0710