News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigslist find #2, NIB AE Type 880 Executive Model Speakerphone.

Started by Greg G., October 11, 2011, 03:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

We think alike Stub! Before I ever got to your post I read the codes on the box and said to myself "Crap, it's a white one too! Only way to have a real nice white one is if it is still NIB" Then I saw that it was actually black and that the codes on the base of the phone are correct for black. Color 00 black rather than 19 white. Then I saw your post commenting exactly the same as I was thinking! Good thing it wasn't color code 11 on the box or I would still be hyper ventilting without having seen that it was really black! Or how about color 16!!! (never made one officially)

I think you missed a wire in the cord there Stub. Should be Green & Yellow & Brown-Red for tip <edit: blue not Brown-Red> and Red & Brown-Green for Ring. At least that is how I always saw it done.

As for tranformers, an optional extra if it is line powered off of a 24 VDC phone system. If a 48 VDC system, no power required.

Darned Nice Score Briny

Terry

stub

Terry,
        That is the way my black one is wired .Here's the old drawing I had to go by. Still sanding the black speaker case. Thanks, that maybe why the flasher won't work on this one. The 11 is still being worked on ! I think a 15 would look nice too? Man, I bet a clear one would look GOOD.  
        Good score Briny 8)        stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Just studied the schematic a bit. It is actually the blue lead that should be with green and yellow, not brown red  As the notes on your schematic say the blue is associated with power but if there is no power supply it looks to be hooked directly to the line.

Never thought of a clear 880. I would think the piecs would be straight forward.

Terry

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

I just posted what you should do in your other thread AE 880. Here is a copy of that post.

Terry

So you can either connect the required leads together and hook to a modular set cord or replace the existing cord with a modular cord but you will have to strap several terminals together inside the phone with this option. It is usually preferable t okeep the proper cord and modify the end so that you can plug it in.

The best way would be to get one of the little box like surface mout jacks and screw the appropriate cord leads to the screw terminals inside the jack and then plug in a "modular to modular" cord into this jack and the other end into the wall jack. This way you don't dmage the existing phone cord.

Terry

teka-bb

=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Greg G.

A view of the internals.  The dial was noticeably sluggish, so I was going to try to lube it in place, but it seemed to loosen up on it's own after a few spins of the dial.  It may still need to be lubed, but I want to do it w/o having to remove and disassemble, I don't think it's necessary to do that since it's new.  Where are the proper lube points on this dial?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Hi Greg:

Do not lube the inside of the governor barrel. A little drop of light machine oil like 3-in one on the worm gear, but not even a drop.  Put a drop on a wooden toothpick and then transfer less than a drop to the worm gear.  The same with the base end (not the governor end) of the worm gear shaft where it fits into the brass bushing.

The oiling of the main dial shaft would need to be performed by taking the dial apart and doing it from the inside.  Not recommended unless all else fails.  Actually, if all else fails, there is Always Steve Hilsz.
-Bill G

teka-bb

Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

GG

Agreed on all points.  Also, the point of contact between the main drive gear (the one with the ratchet) and the surface in which it turns, is also good for a tiny drop of 3-in-1 oil.  As well, the points in which the shaft containing the small driven gear, the odd gear that drives the worm, and the pulse cam: there are two points in there that could do for a tiny droplet of oil.  When reassembling, take care to get the pulse cam in the right position, though in a pinch you can loosen the nut that holds it, and rotate it to the right position, and then re-tighten the nut.

When I get AE dials that aren't quite right I just take them completely apart, clean all the surfaces, and put them back together adding a tiny bit of oil here and there as I go.  Anyone can learn to do AE dials in their sleep, they really are very easy to completely disassemble and reassemble. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 07, 2011, 06:29:18 PM
Hi Greg:

Do not lube the inside of the governor barrel. A little drop of light machine oil like 3-in one on the worm gear, but not even a drop.  Put a drop on a wooden toothpick and then transfer less than a drop to the worm gear.  The same with the base end (not the governor end) of the worm gear shaft where it fits into the brass bushing.

The oiling of the main dial shaft would need to be performed by taking the dial apart and doing it from the inside.  Not recommended unless all else fails.  Actually, if all else fails, there is Always Steve Hilsz.

Worm gear - the shaft with the corkscrew type threads on it?
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 18, 2011, 02:27:47 AM
I just posted what you should do in your other thread AE 880. Here is a copy of that post.

Terry

So you can either connect the required leads together and hook to a modular set cord or replace the existing cord with a modular cord but you will have to strap several terminals together inside the phone with this option. It is usually preferable t okeep the proper cord and modify the end so that you can plug it in.

The best way would be to get one of the little box like surface mout jacks and screw the appropriate cord leads to the screw terminals inside the jack and then plug in a "modular to modular" cord into this jack and the other end into the wall jack. This way you don't dmage the existing phone cord.

Terry

Hard to believe this was over 6 years ago (or maybe not), but I'm going to try hooking this up.  Many times I'll use my smart phone or the modern cordless handset from my wife's desk when I'm making a call at my computer because they have a speaker mode and I prefer to have my hands free to jot things down, so why not hook up the 880? 

Only problem is you guys have me confused on which wires get wrapped around each other.  I need a "final answer" so I can mount them in a biscuit adapter and fire this puppy up.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Yeah... I can't imagine why you are confused after rereading the Thread! :)

I remember this topic like it was yesterday....yesterday 2011.

Try just green with yellow for tip and red for ring. I didn't think the other two leads were needed anyway but I may be wrong. Not likely to damage anything so if that doesn't work (and ring...a tweeter sound out of the speaker with a volume control under the speaker enclosure ...use a little screw driver to adjust it) try adding the other leads that Stub and me were discussing. The old biscuit jack would be ideal to do this in.

Terry