and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Look what I found at 3rd Sunday Market! - A WE #1 dial mounted on a B1

Started by waynet7, September 21, 2014, 10:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

waynet7

I would not have been lucky if it weren't for that clueless dealer!

tallguy58

Don't get me started on clueless dealers.

I've taken advantage of many in my comic book collecting.

Maybe we should start a topic on clueless dealers and their mistakes.
Cheers........Bill

waynet7

In his defence, I must say that it is hard to know everything about the items you sell if you are a general merchant. We collectors tend to have a wide range of knowledge on a relatively narrow field of objects; i.e. specialized, if you will. I tend to avoid dealers who specialize in what they sell because of their knowledge base, which usually equates to 'no bargains to be found here'.

unbeldi

There are always two sides to a deal.  And usually the side that has the knowledge wins.
There are many who grossly overprice their stuff, or sell 'doctored' items, and unknowledgeable buyers become victims.
It happens in every field.

waynet7

That is very true. I've seen my share of misrepresentation and out-of-line prices.

tallguy58

What do you mean "misrepresentation"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTION-COMICS-1-JUNE-1938-DC-COMICS-/251635080105 ( dead link 06-23-21 )

Worth about $15.
Cheers........Bill

waynet7

Ha! I don't doubt you. Definitely pricey. I will say that comic books were never my thing. :)

waynet7

Here are some more pictures of the dial.

poplar1

I wouldn't feel sorry for the dealer: After all, he probably made money on every item. However, if you wanted to express your gratitude, perhaps you could find out who the widow is, and offer to help her clean out her basement!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Very nice.  Thank you for the pics.

There is indeed only one make-type off-normal contact.

How did the previous owner wire this into to the B1 mounting?

The dial really cannot be used for a telephone intended for customer dialing. It was probably mounted into an operator instrument or console or test set where the contact operated a relay in the switchboard.

I believe, the true No.1 dial had a different contact arrangement.

Also notice there are only two mounting screw holes.

waynet7

It was not wired into the B1 at all. The mount was wired for non-dial service. Beats me as to why it was mounted there.

unbeldi

So he used the B1 as a display stand.
Well, better than letting it sit in a box.
Boxes get crushed or lost. It was safer on a phone, contacts protected.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 21, 2014, 02:55:19 PM
I would love to you you put it on eBay and watch your retirement monies roll in. You just do not see #1 dials, especially in that condition....WOW!!  What state are you in?....Doug
thanks Wayne...I can't wait to watch this.....this should be fun....Doug
Kidphone

waynet7

Decided that since I could not use it in a phone myself, I might as well sell it and get something more to my taste. Since I'm a big Civil War enthusiast, Confederate brass sounds appealing..... ;D