News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best Vintage Kitchen Stand Mixer?

Started by HobieSport, January 28, 2010, 09:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Some of the best chefs are men. There are lots of men who work in bakeries for a living. It's hard work. Like the guy on the Dunkin Donuts commercial (gotta get up and make the donuts). A mixer is really just another tool like a wrench or a belt sander. And guys like tools.
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/nzspyskpqz--GruntTim-Allen-Home-Improvement-Tim-Taylor-

Bill, it looks like we have the same MixMaster. (see my picture posted earlier). I've used mine for over 20 years without fail.
Jonathan

Bill Cahill

Quote from: jsowers on January 29, 2010, 10:33:52 AM
I have a Sunbeam Mixmaster from the 50s (or maybe late 40s) I use as a juicer. I like old appliances and have an old Sunbeam toaster too--the rounded Art Deco T-9 model like Briny also has. His can be seen here...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1292.0;attach=5981;image

At Christmastime I make hot spiced tea that uses fresh lemon juice and orange juice and that Mixmaster makes short work of it. It's so old that it has a tinned metal strainer that attaches to the spout on the juicer. I think later models had the strainer in the bowl of the juicer. Inside the bowl is a ceramic reamer. I can juice six oranges and four lemons, sliced in two, in about three minutes, and all the way down to the rind. The strainer is coarse and lets some pulp through, but not the seeds.

I also have a modern day KitchenAid stand mixer and I use that for bread and cookies. If you can find an old KitchenAid with all its attachments, that may be what you need for bread. I found a glass bowl for an old KitchenAid in a thrift store and I use it as a spare for the new one. It locks into the bottom of the stand just fine and the metal bowl fits inside it for storage (it's not in the picture). They haven't changed those mixers much since the 1950s and to me even the new ones look fairly retro. I got mine for $99 reduced for clearance at K-Mart about 15 years ago. It was an open box return and all the pieces were there. A fantastic deal.

I just use the bread recipe that came with the KitchenAid mixer. I haven't made it in a while, but if you want me to scan a copy for you, I will. One person actually said one loaf of whole wheat bread I made would win a prize at the fair. Maybe they were just being kind?  ;)

I attached a picture of the two mixers from last January. You can also see my old sugar jar from a Hoosier cabinet (it has an "S" on the side) and my Blue Ridge sugar bowl. The candle in the window is a Noma Halo Candle. I collect old Christmas decorations too. My old phones have plenty of company with all the rest of my old stuff. I even eat off vintage dishes.

Matt, let us know what you decide to get. Too bad you can't provide bread samples!

Whuddaya know! Same exact model!
They vere made very well.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bwanna

i have totally enjoyed reading about "guys & their mixers". i have a 1940's sunbeam. of course you all know i don't cook, so it is just for show ;)

hobie has disappeared again. maybe he is up to his elbows in bread dough ::)
donna

DavePEI

Hi All:

It is funny seeing this thread come up again. Linda is a great cook, and a great baker, and she loves doing it. That is the reason for my great girth. Its all her fault!

Anyway, as she gets older, her hands are getting arthritic, so my son Jeffery suggested we get her a good stand mixer, cost shared between him and me. We ordered a "KitchenAid KSM120MC Custom Stand Mixer, Metallic Chrome" from Amazon for $229. The darndest is the same model is selling for $500 locally.

It arrives tomorrow. Ahhh, the home made bread. I see another 50 lbs in my future. It will arrive just in time for her Christmas baking!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I'd love to have a KitchenAid mixer, though I have been advised to avoid anything but the Classic model though as that still utilises most of the original Hobart design, as hasn't been as cheapened as the other models (such as the Artisan which has plastic planetary gears and a motor that's too powerful for them to handle if you're mixing dough and the gears tend to strip when overloaded), and to get a 250w motor model as that's more forgiving to it's innards, it lacks the Go-Faster fins though like the originals... :)

And if you can, get an old model, a friend of mine has a 1937 3-speed Model K that still is mixing away today, and only had a full service relatively recently (not by KA though) and it's gear grease had pretty much turned into tar, but was still working fine, albeit slowly, and post-service it sped up and ran superbly, it's still running perfectly (it made a lot of bready stuff for Thanksgiving last week too), not bad for something 76 that's years old... :)

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on December 02, 2013, 09:47:45 PM
It arrives tomorrow. Ahhh, the home made bread. I see another 50 lbs in my future. It will arrive just in time for her Christmas baking!

Dave
Linda, after she got it today!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

You must have stumbled on to a short sale on that model.  I don't see that exact model anywhere, but the KSM models do go for quite a lot more than $229.  Best deal I seem to be able to find right now is the classic for $199 at target.
Dave

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on December 03, 2013, 11:12:26 AM
You must have stumbled on to a short sale on that model.  I don't see that exact model anywhere, but the KSM models do go for quite a lot more than $229.  Best deal I seem to be able to find right now is the classic for $199 at target.
She's heavy, Ah err. the machine is heavy! It is normally $500.00 - Amazon had them on for $229. She's one happy lady. When I was young, my mother had one of these with all the fancy gadgets, juicer, meat grinder, etc. She sure got a lot of use out of it. Linda is already planning her Christmas baking! She's pretty pleased with her early Christmas present! Now she can't complain about the money I spend on phones!

By the way, she is by far the heaviest phone user in this household. I have suggested some crazy glue to fasten the handset to her ear. If she's not cooking or sleeping, she is on the phone talking to her mother, friends, neighbours, gossip buddies, or whoever. So, if you ever call me and the line is busy, you know who to blame!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: wds on December 03, 2013, 11:12:26 AMBest deal I seem to be able to find right now is the classic for $199 at target.

And you've not bought it because ..... ?? :D

Early monday morning I happened to spot a KA special on QVC, they had the Classic with a couple of special extras, all for the bargain price of £439, about $700 US, they did put one of their "Today's Special Value" prices on it and it went down to £362 though, but still, I can pick up a new "Factory seconds" model for £219 on ebay from Belgium (requires a replacement plug as they have europlugs fitted), still a little pricey when compared to the 120v models across the pond though, but not as ripoff priced as QVC's offerings... :o

tallguy58

The first  real thing I ever took apart was my mom's old Sunbeam Mixmaster. She got a new one and gave me the old one and told me to see if I could figure out how it worked. This was after she caught me opening the phone to see what was inside. That sucker was in a hundred pieces on my bed within an hour. The motor fascinated me.

The old lady sure knew how to occupy an 11 year-old's time.
That got me into fixing things. Found out I had a knack for tinkering. Hence old phone collecting etc.

Thanks, mom. :-*
Cheers........Bill

AL_as_needed

Figured I'd give this older topic some attention.

Over the last few months I have been slowly getting into baking, mostly breads so far. Naturally I could not buy a new mixer, where is the fun in that? Needs a little work and one of the bowls arrived in about a dozen pieces, but we are off and mixing.
TWinbrook7