News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1955 Green 500

Started by Vern P, February 19, 2011, 10:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

Went to an antique show today, and found a box of 5 500's and 1 princess.   The 500's were 1 each of Pink, Green, Yellow, hard wired. 2 Mod ones and a Lt. Blue Princess.  They all looked to been refurbed.

When I got home and open the HW green one, witch has a amp. HS, or hard of hearing. With a 5-55 base.  Thinking the houseing had been changed, until I look at the date. 

It was a soft one dated 5-7-55.  I was born on 5-8-55, a Sunday that year, in fact it was Mother's Day.  So I knew I woud never find a birthday phone. But this is as close as I will get.

To top this off, the ringer is 5-55, the dial is 5-55 #51 Green.

Yes the cord and HS are later, but I have a Dk. Gray HS and line cord dated '55.
Now I need to find a Green HS, with a '55 date.

Any one got one ???

I am a happy camper tonight.

Vern

PS The other phone will be listed later.   

Craig T

Congrats on the find Vern! I can't help on the 55 hand set though. Craig

HarrySmith

Nice find Vern! Congrats! Sorry I cant help with the hanset.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

11furby11

Hi Vern
Do you have any pictures?  I'd love to see the colour of green.  Maybe Terry has a cord?
Cheers
Sherry

HarrySmith

No, Vern does not have pictures. He is on a toy computer, can't even open up most attachments  Some day we might be able to convince him to jump into the 90's and get a PC.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

Here's a picture of a moss green 500 with gray cords, from 1956, that should show the right color of green. I think Vern has the correct cords. He just needs a complete 5-55 handset. Cords on the moss green 500s didn't match the phone until about 1957.
Jonathan

Vern P

Yes Sherry, Harry is right, I can't do photos, but my TOY computer works well most of the time for me.

Harry, I did come into the '90's when I got my toy computer.  You know I am nt the smart to run one of these new things.

Thanks for posting a photo of he Green 500 with Gray cords.   Yes I have the cords, but am looking for a 5-55 hand set.

Speaking of this phone. I have another very nice one, with Gray cords.  I don't remember the date.   I will put this up for sale at $75 + ship or $80 shipped flat rate box.

Come to think of it, on the trade table I have a NOS Green 500 and 554 from 1956. Can't trade, so I will offer them for $150 each + ship.

Vern P

Greg G.

Quote from: Vern P on February 19, 2011, 10:35:24 PM

It was a soft one dated 5-7-55.  I was born on 5-8-55, a Sunday that year, in fact it was Mother's Day.  So I knew I woud never find a birthday phone. But this is as close as I will get.

Vern  

I never thought about what day of the week my bd fell on, and the fact that normal folk don't work weekends.  I'm in luck, mine fell on a Friday.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e