News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this AE hardware?

Started by markosjal, December 16, 2016, 01:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I have seen a lot of Pulse keypads in mexico so that is probably correct.

I do have some Stromberg Carlson keypads and single ATC if any of those may work in one of these. I am sure mounting will be the hardest issue. I do not see the wiring as the most difficult task. I know the SCs well enough I can wire them to most anything. The ATCs are different.

By the way it is about 28 Dollars US each
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: markosjal on June 03, 2017, 05:13:02 PM
I have seen a lot of Pulse keypads in mexico so that is probably correct.

I do have some Stromberg Carlson keypads and single ATC if any of those may work in one of these. I am sure mounting will be the hardest issue. I do not see the wiring as the most difficult task. I know the SCs well enough I can wire them to most anything. The ATCs are different.
DP keypads were popular in Mexico because of slowness in modernizing CO equipment.  They were popular in the US in the 70s when there were still lots of SXS and crossbar COs.

Button spacing certainly is different from the WECo/ITT/S-C standard and keypad width and perhaps mounting screw locations relative to the button holes too I think.  You will need an AE pad but they should not be impossible to find.

markosjal

I went through some perils with an AE touchtone pad from an ATC Snoopy phone with AE guts. The button spacing at least on what I saw was the same. The mounting was clearly different. I finally ended up repairing the touch tone pad and learned some new things along the way.... such as when diagnosing DTMF pads (confirmed on both the AE and later an SC35a1) if any row is stuck closed it prevents the other rows from working, same goes for columns. 

It makes sense but never ran into it before. I spent to long trying to figure out why two columns did not work sometimes. Later tested on the SC and had identical behavior
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

AE_Collector

Yes, almost for certain they are "DigiPulse" keypads. I have never seen that GTE branding on the front of the case like that. These are newer etc given the smoked plastic handset cradle rather than chrome. I haven't seen that sort of wood grain faceplate either but with all the newer style faceplates being almost clear plastic with paper mats underneath, almost anything can be put under the faceplate for a nice looking finish.

Terry