News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cords for a 5302

Started by Stephen Furley, July 24, 2011, 07:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Furley

What would be the correct style of cords for a 5302, cloth or plastic, straight or coiled?  Did they retain the original handset, or was it replaced by the type used on the 500?  The picture of one on the Oldphoneworks site has the later type, but ericophon shows the older style.  Were both used at different times?

Oldphoneworks have new 5302 plastic shells for £50, and I'm thinking of converting my very tatty 302, the one which was salvaged from underwater on a demolition site in Camden, NJ.  It would need new transmitter and receiver elements if the original handset was retained, but I've got some spares, and a new dial, but that shouldn't be too difficult to obtain.  Surprisingly, I think the other parts are usable.

Dan

My 5302 blacks (3) have 2 curly vinyl, one straight vinyl. My pink 5302 has curly pink vinyl.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

The 5302 used both types of handsets, the F and the G. Color 5302s only used G-type handsets. Often the F-type handsets had adapters in them to use the newer elements from the G-type handsets. I think both were used at the same time, depending on what they had on hand to recycle.

Since the 5302 was a mid-50s phone, it used vinyl cords, like Dan said. The handset cord could be either type. Just be sure to get the correct cord for the handset you have. A G-handset cord with a strain relief won't fit an F-type handset.
Jonathan

deedubya3800

Both of my 5302s have coiled handset cords, and neither one of them uses cloth. Since they were generally built from 1955 to 1965, cloth cords were pretty well out, especially for a phone they wanted people to think was a new design. As for handsets, I see several 5302s that still have F-type handsets, but many have either G-type handsets, and several have a G-type handle that has been modified to accept F-type (F1 and HA1) elements. One of mine has a G1 and one has the modified G1, called a GF.

Stephen Furley

So, I need to buy a 5302 shell for $50, a plastic line cord and a dial.  I can keep the original handset, I've got a spare receiver for it, and a small transmitter element as used in the 500, that I can use with an adapter ring, which I've also got.  I have an old coiled plastic handset cord in good condition, which came off another 'phone where it wasn't really appropriate, and I have some spare four prong plugs somewhere.

Since the 5302 was, by it's nature, modified it wouldn't matter that the parts weren't original.  I think it's worth doing to det another model into the collection.  What would be the correct dial type; I assume that several different ones were used?

cihensley@aol.com

Stephen:

Don't forget the ring around the dial with the numbers on it and a proper plate for the dial. These are generally harder to find than the shell and a dial.

Chuck

Stephen Furley

Do you mean this thing:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/western-electric-alphanumeric-number-ring-for-5302-black.html

If so, which dials are compatible with it?  Since I've never even seen a 5302 I'm groping around in the dark a bit here.

When the 5302 conversions were done did they retain the original dials with metal finger wheels, or fit new dials with plastic finger wheels, as on the 500, or or retain the original dials, but fit them with a new plastic finger wheel to make it look like a 500?  The dials used on the 500 (9c?) are available cheaply, but the older ones are considerably more expensive.

deedubya3800

5302s are usually found with a 5H or 6C dial. 5H looks better, but 6C is quieter. The dial plate you need is a 164C-3. Won't you also need the filler plate that goes under the grip handle?

Doug Rose

Quote from: deedubya3800 on July 25, 2011, 07:14:35 PM
5302s are usually found with a 5H or 6C dial. 5H looks better, but 6C is quieter. The dial plate you need is a 164C-3. Won't you also need the filler plate that goes under the grip handle?
DW....5302s are usually found with a 5M which is a refurbed or relabeled 5H. I have seen them with 6A dials as well. I don't think I have ever seen a 6C.

Stephen...5302s can usually be had on eBay working and complete for under $50. I have bought more than one this year at Flea markets for $5. working and just a little TLC to get them looking great!

Just my opinion, but the OPW way sounds very expensive....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

My Bell System 5302, which I incidentally purchased a year ago today at a flea market in Omaha for $10, has a 6C dial. My non-Bell System 5302 has a 5H. My guess is that since it was done by an independent, they weren't worried about relabelling the dial. They also weren't worried about making the ringer adjustable.