News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Our Local Auction Find. 2 Western Electric 551 Switchboards and a 555

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, July 21, 2020, 09:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

These popped up on our local online auction. 

2 551 boards,  and a 555 with conference circuit. 

Figured they'd go high dollar,  but i won them for 43 bucks a piece.    Going to pick them up thursday. 

Stormcrash

That's quite the score, switchboards seem to usually have an absurd price on them. I know a lot of people like the 555 but I'm quite fond of the 551 boards. Hope to see some pictures soon

pics from the auction. 

FABphones

Great find, I really like those switchboards. I remember your last one.
What are you planning to do with them, have you decided to continue phone collecting again.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on July 22, 2020, 02:44:02 AM
Great find, I really like those switchboards. I remember your last one.
What are you planning to do with them, have you decided to continue phone collecting again.

We couldn't just let some antique dealer buy them and let them become a display piece.   We are focusing our collection on certain things.   

keeping one of the 551 boards for our new phone room,  donating a 551 board to a museum if they want it,  itll be fully functional so peeps can play with it,   and then going to trade one off for other stuff we want. 

But at 43 bucks a pop,  who wouldn't buy them lol

Key2871

Well I'm glad you got them. Clean then up and see if they work, then go from there.

I'd love to have one but I just don't have the room for something like that. But I'm glad they got saved.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on July 22, 2020, 06:57:56 PM
   and then going to trade one off for other stuff we want. 
The best bang for the buck on the 555 is to offer the conferance circuit separate. There are a few collectors that need that circuit for the boards they play with. They would prefer to add the circuit to their  board vs getting another board. Ask for the blank to fill the hole.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.