News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Hobie, good to see you back with us on the Forum.  Welcome back!

JorgeAmely

Terry:

I place the blame on Dennis for me being here. I wonder how long the chain can be extended ....
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on January 12, 2011, 12:12:01 AM
Terry:

I place the blame on Dennis for me being here. I wonder how long the chain can be extended ....

New thread...what came first.....

You may have just ended the chain Jorge...Dennis probably came first.

Terry

stopthemachine

Quote from: Stephen Furley on August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM
Any nominations?  I've got a few:

The Dali Lobster

http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?workid=2988

Empress Deluxe Push Button Telephone, Padua Table Dial Telephone, Parisienne Table Dial Telephone and Rondo Telephone from this page: http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/phones_1980on.htm  All supposed to look like old 'phones, but they don't.

GPO Bakelite 'Crocodile' http://tinyurl.com/n62q7d

This one is brand new in box if anybody wants to buy it.  Seems to have less buttons than the similar ones which I've seen in the past.

Haha.  Funny story about the Dali-Lobster phone.  When I was visiting London in 2004, I went to Dali Universe, and unbeknownst to my phone-collecting self, I came across all of his lobster phones.  It just made my trip that much more entertaining. 

Although some of the WE fake, French phones are pretty gaudy, I would like to know what AE was thinking about when they decided to redesign the AE 80—they went from a phone that was stylish (and not a WE 500 duplicate) to a phone that worked as a touch-tone design, but almost always looks ridiculous and, sadly, hideous as a rotary phone. 

Anyone else agree with the late AE 80 phones? 

AE_Collector

Quote from: stopthemachine on January 23, 2011, 03:33:23 AM
I would like to know what AE was thinking about when they decided to redesign the AE 80—they went from a phone that was stylish (and not a WE 500 duplicate) to a phone that worked as a touch-tone design, but almost always looks ridiculous and, sadly, hideous as a rotary phone. 

Anyone else agree with the late AE 80 phones? 

AE 80E phones (with the faceplate) is what we are discussing here I'm thinking?

When they first appeared on the scene in 1975 I thought they were pretty stylish. I soon realised that they were junk inside but all in all I don't mind the look. I have about 12 or so of them on display in various colors and configurations.

Terry

rdelius

This telephone was sent in for repairs at COT when I was working there. Made out of a Northern Electric set
Robby

JorgeAmely

Let me guess: ringer didn't work?
Jorge

stopthemachine

AE 80E phones (with the faceplate) is what we are discussing here I'm thinking?

When they first appeared on the scene in 1975 I thought they were pretty stylish. I soon realised that they were junk inside but all in all I don't mind the look. I have about 12 or so of them on display in various colors and configurations.

Terry
[/quote]
Yes, that's the one.  (I couldn't remember the numerical difference on these sets and was too lazy to look it up when posting originally  :D ) I think they look pretty decent as a touch tone phone, but MOST of the time, I think the rotary version is a bit gaudy--sometimes, it has to do with the color or something, I think.  I just can't put my finger on it!  Haha.

I love AE phones too so I feel like I'm talking about them behind their back.  :-X  I greatly prefer the original AE 80s.

Greg G.

Quote from: rdelius on January 23, 2011, 03:10:57 PM
This telephone was sent in for repairs at COT when I was working there. Made out of a Northern Electric set
Robby

Ridiculous, but it made me smile!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Adam

It's like an accident on the highway.  You don't want to see it, but you just can't look away...

http://tinyurl.com/6l5jupg ( dead link 02-21-21 )
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

DavePEI

Quote from: masstel on May 04, 2011, 12:59:29 AM
It's like an accident on the highway.  You don't want to see it, but you just can't look away...

Those look like unauthorized foreign attachments to me. Worse than a Carterphone or Hush-a-phone. Better get the phone police after them!

Telephonic Roadkill!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernMan

Dennis Markham

It reminds me of the heat shield tiles on the bottom of the space shuttle.  I'll be surprised if the seller gets his $60.  Dave that is a great description...like an accident on the highway. :)

LarryInMichigan

I wonder if there is an official psychological term for the unnatural compulsion to stick inappropriate things to telephones :)

Larry

rdelius

Looking at the handset cord, feet and fingerwheel, I feel this is a soft plastic set.
Robby