News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fixing a T1 microphone element

Started by Charles, May 11, 2012, 03:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

Has anyone tried to open up the T1 elements (from g handsets) to breakup the carbon?
How about using ultrasonic sound waves to re-distribute the carbon?

I have several 60s and 70s vintage T1 elements that are scratchy / noisy. I have tried the old beat it on the table trick but it still does not completely cure the problem.

Thanks for any responses,

Charles

Phonesrfun

I've only removed the carbon from a T1 to rob the granuals for another (much older) transmitter.

If the granuals have become compromised, personally I have not tried to fix them.  There is no reason, however, why a little experimentation wouldn't hurt.  Give it a shot and tell us what you find out.

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

I have many phones and transmitters which have static problems, especially European ones.  One way to fix/avoid the problem is to connect a resistor in parallel with the transmitter to reduce the amount of current flowing through it.

Larry

Charles

Success!!

I pried off the chamber cap and poured out all of the carbon onto a piece of paper. Some of the carbon was stuck inside of the chamber so I gently scraped it out using a paperclip. I then agitated the carbon and flattened it out using the paperclip. Finally I poured the carbon back into the chamber and replaced the chamber cap. The microphone sounds like new. I compared it to a new ITT/Cortelco T1 Microphone out of a new 2554.