News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not the best bargain, but not bad.

Started by bwanna, November 01, 2009, 11:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

went antiquing in grand rapids, mi this week end. saw alot of overpriced modular 500s. a few 302s in the $50 range. it was these two that "spoke" to me. :)

black 500  10&11/55. notice the nice springy handset cord. the suede feet are barely worn. $9.00.

the trimline is a little rough. dirty, discolored, with 2 cracks in the handset. it is dated 9/65. which i believe is very early in the production time line. also, thx to mcheath, i know there is GOLD in them there phones! :D $10.   i will have to learn that super glue technique, but i will not put the cord in the oven ;)
donna

Craig T

Quote from: bwanna on November 01, 2009, 11:07:46 PM
went antiquing in grand rapids, mi this week end. saw alot of overpriced modular 500s. a few 302s in the $50 range. it was these two that "spoke" to me. :)

black 500  10&11/55. notice the nice springy handset cord. the suede feet are barely worn. $9.00.

the trimline is a little rough. dirty, discolored, with 2 cracks in the handset. it is dated 9/65. which i believe is very early in the production time line. also, thx to mcheath, i know there is GOLD in them there phones! :D $10.   i will have to learn that super glue technique, but i will not put the cord in the oven ;)

Excellent finds. Real nice 500. Just make sure you do your phone hunting on that side of the bridge  ;)  ;D  Did you check it out yet, do the parts match up on it?

bwanna

thx, craig.........
ok.............only if you stay on your side of bridge ;)
donna

Craig T

Quote from: bwanna on November 01, 2009, 11:19:40 PM
thx, craig.........

We do not have near the volume of auctions that downstate has, but there are a lot less collectors and such too. I do better at auctions than yard or estate sale up here though. Same downstate, some really great auctions down there.

Phonesrfun

I went antiquing today and drove 60 miles each way and came up empty handed.  Saw an AE Starlite for $25 in rough shape and passed it up.  Also saw a Goofy, and a Mickey Mouse phone too.  Nothing that interested me.

-Bill G

McHeath

From what I've read in Bell Magazine, that Trimline you found is one of the very first.  The article claimed that they entered service in August and Sept of 65', so you've got a real prize there to Trimline lovers. 

bwanna

thx, heath.  i could have looked that up. but i knew one of you guys would tell me. ;) if i can make satisfactory repairs to the cracks in the handset, i think i will have a nice piece of history for $10.

donna

JimH

Nice finds...I like the original number card on the 500, what exchange is that?  I've always like rotary Trimlines...something about the soft whirrrr of that little dial...and it's an early one.  Those original thick cords looked the best on the Trimlines.  Something about modular cords that just don't seem right.
Jim H.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on November 01, 2009, 11:19:40 PM
thx, craig.........

Watch out for me, I'm the troll under the bridge.
D/P :o :o ;D

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

foots

Oh, not the best bargain huh? Only a black '55 500 for $10.  :P  :P  :P
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bwanna

jim, the 500 has the emergency numbers sticker for the city of parchment. i found the city website, it is a suburb north of kalamazoo. 343 (FIreside3) is the exchange for many of the businesses listed.
on the trimline, i like the plastic bell emblem in the center of the fingerwheel.

joshua,  it was a good deal, but not the BEST. not for the deals we get in michigan anyway :P

d/p, were you just making a funny  ???  or do you know that the "yoopers" call us folks south of THE bridge TROLLS  ::)
donna

bellsystemproperty

You're lucky, in California there are hardly any rotary phones for sale. Everyone wants an iphone. I did get a good deal on the 554/ princess on Craigslist, but that was a lucky find. Even at the antique fair they didn't have rotary phones, not one!

Phonesrfun

If you are in Northern California, there is a No CA phone show, I believe this coming Saturday in San Jose.  I am in Washington State so it is too far for me, but it should be a really good shew.
-Bill G