News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this phone labeled correctly ?

Started by Dan/Panther, December 29, 2009, 01:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I was surfing some sites, and ran across this photo marked : model 302 Northern Electric 1945.
Is that correct ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

It looks like a metal North Galion with an F1 handset.  The handset might possibly be from Northern Electric, so someone figured that the phone was from Northern Electric.  I don't think that it's a North imposter, because I have not heard of any being made of metal.

Larry

Dan/Panther

It also had the AE type dial, galion didn't use that dial did they ?
D/P

Dennis Markham

I concur with Larry.  The body of the phone sure looks like a North "Galion" phone but an earlier one made of metal.  Note the paint loss at the cradle ears.  The handset is an F1.  It's also an AE or North dial.  There is a Northern Electric phone that looks similar.  I can't seem to locate a photo of one at the moment to compare them.

Yes, Dan, Galion did use AE dials as well as their own.

LarryInMichigan

The similar looking Northern phones had straight sloped sides, not curved.  I just found a great web page with pictures of both the North and Northern phones as well as many others http://oldphonerepair.googlepages.com/j&cantiquecandlesticktelephones2

Larry

benhutcherson

Here's my similar phone.

Interestingly, mine is not marked as to the manufacturer anywhere on the phone itself, although the handset is marked Northern Electric.

Mine uses a 302 base.

Dan/Panther

I recently had a fellow radio collector offer me this phone for $10.00 plus shipping, it looks like this is what the other one should look like I think ?
D/P
I'm waiting for delivery now.

ntophones

--nto

Dan/Panther

Absolutely without hesitation.
Anytime I have an opportunity to buy a phone cheap, I will, even if only to pass it on.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, it should read North Electric on the back, where the cords exit the phone.

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

What you have is a North "copy".  I have one with a WE dial and North handset, also with a 302 base.  See: http://paul-f.com/north.htm.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Larry;
According to Pauls listing, the original has the vents in the back, like the ones on mine, no bolt at the finger wheel stop, also like mine.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, does yours say North Electric where the cords exit?

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

I am sorry.  I didn't scroll up far enough to notice that it was benhutcherson who posted a picture of the "copy" phone and not you.

Larry

benhutcherson

Hmm, interesting. It looks like mine is one of the fakes.

It's smooth on the back(no vents) and has good markings. It's a good early base-I believe it may even be an NE base(with the patent markings).

Also, mine has a sticker on the bottom that appears to be from the company on Paul's site.

Another interesting thing about mine-there are three different types of feet on it. Two are leather, one is felt, and one is plastic.