News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SA 1: Superman Comic Book #1 Special Auction Contest - Ended 8/24/14

Started by tallguy58, August 19, 2014, 06:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Here's the 1% "no crowding" gap spreadsheet for this contest, after 13 guesses. I didn't want to resize all my spreadsheet columns so the numbers shown are x1000, or, in other words, all guesses are in the 2 million range and up.

With just over a day to go, it's been bid up to $2,193,919.38, a nice round number, eh?  :-\   by now 10 bidders, up from 7 a few days ago.

Now there are four split the different gaps leaving the rest of the gaps wide open so get your last minute guesses in. The "guess window" closes in about 8 hours.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 23, 2014, 12:29:17 PM
$fartoomuch... :P

Plus more!

Picked up an 11th bidder overnight and two more bids pushing it up to $2.2 million.

Ends this evening with the big winners being:    The Seller and the Foundation.

TelePlay

Today saw a 12th bidder enter the auction. What amazes me now is the fact that there are at least 12 people in the world capable of bidding millions for a comic book, are bidding millions for a comic book and a comic book would be worth that much to at least 12 people. It's up to $2.3 million with 5 hours to go.

This one is worth watching for the fun of it. Thanks, Fabius, for bringing it to our attention.

TelePlay

With but 18 minutes to go, the high bid has reached $2,402,038.38. That's almost real money . . .  ;)

Still 12 bidders. The final snipe will be exciting.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on August 24, 2014, 08:43:06 PM
$2,402,038.38. That's almost real money . . .  ;)

You could buy a lot of phones with that..

Ben

TelePlay

And the winner of Special Superman Comic Book #1 Auction Contest is Dan/Panther, who with the second entry into the contest offered the winning guess of $3,200,000.00.

Overall, it was an interesting auction from the day it was listed at $0.99. The last few minutes saw the price rise from $2.4 million to $2.6 to $2.7 and then, with the final second snipes, jumped to $3,207 million. When the dust settled, it ended up selling for a hefty $3,207,852.00 and was won by bidder s***p (2501). Once again, our congratulations go out to Dan/Panther for his impressive win in this special CRPF Auction Contests. Must be a second hobby of his?  ;)

Thanks again to all who played. As always, you have to play to win.

Fabius

Now let's start the 2nd special contest. Guess the nationality of the winning bidder. Chinese, Saudi Arabian, Russian, North Korean?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Phonesrfun

Wow.  Wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of money.  More money for a comic book than a very, very big house.  e-Bay is probably smiling at the highest levels of the company.  I wonder how much they get for that kind of sale?
-Bill G

TelePlay

Came across this looking for something else on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/blogs/stories/top-15-most-intriguing-high-priced-items

Since I don't know how long this link will last, a pdf copy of this page is attached. Keep in mind these are the most intriguing auctions within the past few weeks of this posting. The #1 "most intriguing" in this blog post was this Superman Comic Book.

Sadly, the additional 5 "intriguing blogs" that are linked at the bottom of this eBay page do not include the Model 1 Picturephone MagicMo that sold for $21,433.67 way back in January of 2013. Guess the blog writers didn't realize the intriguing, historical importance of this Picturephone.