News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SA 3: 1905 Strowger 11 Digit Lamp Phone Special Auction Contest - Ended 10/26/14

Started by TelePlay, October 22, 2014, 11:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Wow, quite a high reserve for a lamp phone with so much left unknown by the seller about the phone's internals. Wait, I take that back. Everything was left unknown about the internals.

When the dust settled, the seller took the phone home with a bid somewhere north of $2,650.00, the highest amount offered by the last bidder in this auction before it ended on 10-26-14 at 21:19:06 PDT.

There were 11 bidders offering 14 bids over the run of the auction but none of those 11 bidders offering serious money for an "unknown" quantity could top the seller's reserve. As such, it did not sell so there is no non-winner to this special auction contest.

Thanks to everyone who played.

PS: It has been relisted at http://www.ebay.com/itm/261640677992 in a 5 day auction starting at $60 with a reserve. I thought the seller might have relisted it at $2,650 with no reserve, but, then, I'm not the seller, who obviously knows better than I.

The seller did add on 10/23 There have been several requests for photos of the inside of the base. Those have now been added. Also added a picture of the reciever edge that didn't show in the other photos. The white film that has the numbers on it has some warping. Hope this information helps. Seems the internals of the base are in good physical condition, regardless of their current configuration/location inside the base.

wds

The reserve is pretty high, and the bidding is even higher.  Don't these things go for about $3k complete, and not drilled out for a lamp? 
Dave

TelePlay

Seems the seller received an offer they couldn't refuse. The relisted auction has been cancelled because "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Terry was right on that one.

TelePlay

Sent the seller an eBay message asking if the phone would be listed again once the error was resolved. She replied with the following two messages in the order given below:

#1:  "Dear TelePlay,

I don't know how it relisted. We are waiting on the second chance offer that was sent out. If that person declines then we will relisted. I wish I knew how it happened. sorry for the problem. I will let you know one way or the other tonight.

- bobbie-jo"

#2:  "Dear TelePlay,

The person took the second chance offer. Sorry again for the issue.

- bobbie-jo"

I seem to remember something about a second change offer but forgot how that works in an auction like this.

Can someone explain it again for me?

Thanks!

poplar1

When the high bidder does not pay for the item, then seller can offer it to the next highest bidder for the amount shown as his high bid, usually one increment below the selling price. The backup bidder then has a certain time period to accept or reject the offer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on October 27, 2014, 11:35:57 PM
When the high bidder does not pay for the item, then seller can offer it to the next highest bidder for the amount shown as his high bid, usually one increment below the selling price. The backup bidder then has a certain time period to accept or reject the offer.

Thanks!

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on October 27, 2014, 11:35:57 PM
seller can offer it to the next highest bidder for the amount shown as his high bid, usually one increment below the selling price.

Which of course isn't "really" how it should work but of course ebaY has it's own way of pushing the price and its revenue higher than it should be. If the original winner (a***r - 27) had not placed his bid the runner up (2***8 - 3576) would have won the item at one increment over the second runner up (p***w - 1403)'s bid , not one increment below $2650. So 2***8 should have won it for $2195.89 not $2600.00. If the real winner a***r bailed out, the auction should be treated as though he never existed to prevent a Shill from pushing the price up to reveal the top of the next bid and the seller using that info to make a second chance offer for that amount.

However, all of this is still fishy since the item didn't meet the reserve. I dont know if the seller can make a last minute change to give it to the winner anyway but then he bailed so a "second chance iffer" was made to the runner up. Maybe....

Had it sold for what it should have, $2195.89 wds would be the winner of ths contest. Since it likely sold for $2600, I would be the contest winner. They may have negotiated a sale somewhere between the two prices. Who knows.....

Terry