News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from NC

Started by Rescuemo, October 17, 2013, 11:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rescuemo

Hi, all. I'm a long-time collector from NC. I got started with a candlestick dial AE back in 1986 and have collected quite a bit since then. I sold the vast majority of my collection a few years ago when I lost my job and had to pay bills, but I'm trying to get back into it. Adding insult to injury, someone stole a few pieces I'd collected since then out of my workshop!!  Ah, well. That's life. Looking forward to meeting and learning more about the hobby in this forum!
-Morris

I have a lot of phones, but I don't have enough.

dsk

Welcome to the forum  :D
And welcome back to the hobby!

dsk

Contempra

Quote from: Rescuemo on October 17, 2013, 11:52:22 PM
Hi, all. I'm a long-time collector from NC. I got started with a candlestick dial AE back in 1986 and have collected quite a bit since then. I sold the vast majority of my collection a few years ago when I lost my job and had to pay bills, but I'm trying to get back into it. Adding insult to injury, someone stole a few pieces I'd collected since then out of my workshop!!  Ah, well. That's life. Looking forward to meeting and learning more about the hobby in this forum!

Hi and welcome to the forum Rescuemo.... :)

jsowers

Welcome to the Forum, rescuemo! Where in NC are you? You can generalize if you like, seeing as how you've had theft before. I'm from the Piedmont area, just south of Winston-Salem. I haven't looked lately, but several years ago I didn't have much luck finding old telephones in NC. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places? Where have you had luck finding phones? I've found much more on eBay than in thrift stores or auction sales. We also don't have any phone shows nearby.
Jonathan

old_stuff_hound

Hello from a fellow Tarheel -- RDU area!

rdelius

southernphoneman

greetings from Pamlico county north Carolina and welcome to the forum :), Gregg

twocvbloke

Quote from: rdelius on October 18, 2013, 06:19:51 PM
I'm in Durham

I'm 10 miles from Durham, though that's the original City of Durham in the UK, where the Cathedral and Castle are... :D

Rescuemo

I'm in Mooresville, but I just moved there from the Raleigh area. I was an EMT in Wake Co. for many years but wound up on disability, so I'm retired early.  There really aren't too many sources of good phones in NC, as I have found. Like some of you, eBay and Craigslist and other places are good at times. But I have had luck at times at a few antique shops, flea markets and junk shops. A lot of small towns still have junk and antique dealers with some surprising finds. The theft really hurt, this happened a few weeks ago. I had a nice apartment phone, the kind with a metal wall phone on top and a lower box made of wood with buttons to call manager, janitor and a door latch button. Not very valuable at all but for some reason it was my favorite.   :-\  Anyway, my hobby had been pushed to the wayside for a few years while I dealt with my health issues but I'm doing much better now, and ready to get back into the swing of things. Thanks for the warm welcome! 

And, btw, if anyone does happen to have one of those apartment phones they want to sell...feel free to contact me. 

Thanks, all!
-Morris

I have a lot of phones, but I don't have enough.

zaphod01

Welcome to the forum!

Watch eBay and Etsy. Your stolen items might well show up...

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum.  This is the place to be....Doug
Kidphone

MDK

Greetings from Onslow County!

HarrySmith

Welcome Morris! My usual warning about Phonitis is not going to be needed here, I see you are already well on your way in the progression. Your signature line says it all!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"