News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 5 Series Dial Overhaul

Started by JorgeAmely, May 31, 2010, 07:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamAnt316

The dial got stuck again today, so I took it back apart. This time, by manipulating the bracket, I was able to get it so that both screws could be tightened without the dial jamming up. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it decides to get sluggish again. Thanks for all the suggestions!
-Adam

Phonesrfun

The elongated holes in the gear bridge are made so that the mesh of the main gear to the gear train can be adjusted for "proper" mesh.. Too loose, and it is too noisy or gets sluggish, and too tight, the same thing.  You kind of have to finesse it and feel it out for the best position, and listen for the quietest position and non-sluggish operation.
-Bill G

tdrbolt

I did get the dial taken apart, cleaned, and put back together again.  Of course it did not work after I put the phone together, it would not break out of the dial tone.  I took the dial the dial/dustcover etc off, to be able to access the 2 paul screws.  I fiddled with that paul and it's pressure against the spring, and adjusting it left and right, until the dial worked properly.

I really want to thank you for this post, makes working on the 302 phone more fun.

One question, does this procedure work for a 4H dial as well?  ;D

Thanks again, Bill
Bill Byers

Bartonpipes

This is an excellent album! I have used this twice now to refurb a 5 series and most recently a 4H dial.
-Andrew