News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German FeTAp 615-1a

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 15, 2014, 05:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received my first FeTAp phone (ebay link).  It came from an ebay seller in Bulgaria (where postage is cheap).  The phone survived the trip though it could have been packed better.  For some reason, the seller wrapped the phone and handset (separately) in aluminum foil, which probably scratched the plastic a bit.

I gave the phone a quick test, and it seemed to work.  The line cord has seven wires in it, and the front of the phone has some sort of indicator on it, so I am guessing that this phone was intended to be used on a party line with some sort of external box, similar to the Austrian phone (forum link) I have.  If anyone can direct me to a wiring diagram, I would appreciate it.

Larry

unbeldi

The 615 was not a regular telephone set for single telephone stations.
It was a control unit in a two (or more?) telephone wiring arrangement, was used with a 611.  When a call on the 615 was answered the call could no longer be answered, or listened in on, from a 611. The 611 was excluded. The indicator signals that the phone call was answered on the second station (611).

I have to dig up a diagram...

Matilo Telephones

There was a discussion on the German forum, where they posted some diagrams:

http://www.wasser.de/telefon-alt/forum/index.pl?job=thema&tnr=100000000004610&seite=20&begriff=&tin=&kategorie=3-

This phone indeed seemed to be installed in conjuction with an other Fetap 61. I think other models may work too.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LM Ericsson

I've always admired the Green color on the Fe Ap telephones. Probably because my first German telephone was a Green FeTAp 611!
Regards,
-Grayson

unbeldi

Here is a diagram from a German telecom handbook, Handbuch der Fernmeldetechnik, Vol.6 (1973)

First the 615, and below the 611.
Finally, the wiring plan for both connected to one central office line.

LarryInMichigan

The phone had alot of scratches and scrapes.  I managed to improve it a bit.  It is now sitting on my desk waiting for the next call.

Larry

Matilo Telephones

Cool, have you connected it up with a second phone?
Groeten,

Arwin

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on September 19, 2014, 06:11:04 PM
Cool, have you connected it up with a second phone?

No, it is just connected like a 611 would be.  I moved the jumper shown on the top of the diagram above so that the ringer would be connected. 

Larry

LM Ericsson

Regards,
-Grayson

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on September 15, 2014, 05:20:56 PM
There was a discussion on the German forum, where they posted some diagrams:

http://www.wasser.de/telefon-alt/forum/index.pl?job=thema&tnr=100000000004610&seite=20&begriff=&tin=&kategorie=3-

This phone indeed seemed to be installed in conjuction with an other Fetap 61. I think other models may work too.

Yes, there were more models.  The 61-series consisted of the models 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, and 616. The series was introduced in 1961 with the FeTAp 611 which was a simple single line set. After some startup problems in the first couple years, they began to replace the W48 increasingly and became the standard telephone in Germany for something like 20+ years.

Each model in that series added certain features to the basic 611 and switching functions. The basic addition for the model 612 was an earthing button, but another version of the 612 was a two-line phone with line management features and line status signals, like that little indicator on this one here. The signal has a little three-blade fan that just rotates between two positions showing either a light or dark background.

The 613 added additional hookswitch contacts so that an external device, like an answering device, could be controlled. The 613 to 616 were the control sets, that had extension exclusion and other functions for multiple-set wiring plans.

Initially, that is throughout the 60s, these sets came only in gray, the colored sets became available around 72 or so. Green was definitely the most common of the colors, others were a beige-yellow (?), orange-red, dark red, and perhaps another one... black ?

unbeldi

I tried to find some examples on eBay:

The gray one is a 615 with signal and earthing button.  The construction of the signal can be seen better in this one, which is in really nice condition.

Then there is the yellow version, it is sort of a dirty, beige yellow, and finally an orange one.

I couldn't find a sample of the dark red kind, at least not a genuine one. I saw two that appeared to be painted. Dark red was not very popular if I recall my readings, and I think it was discontinued at some time.  I think if found it should be bought and collected, as they are probably the rarest, if such a term can be applied to these mass-produced phones that were almost everywhere to be found.

Matilo Telephones

The  first colored ones were:

ockergelb (ochre yellow)
lachsrot (salmon)
hellrotorange (orange)
farngrün (green)

Other colors were made, often in small batches, for private installations. So called Sonderfarben, special colors. These are very rare.
Groeten,

Arwin

LarryInMichigan

I just received my second FeTAp 615: ebay link.  With shipping, it was about $21.  The ugly screaming 1970s orange color made it difficult to pass up.  The plastic is in good condition and mostly needs a cleaning and polishing.  The dial governor is slow though.  The governor parts are mostly nylon.  I plan to post a picture or two after the phone is ready.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 19, 2016, 12:22:17 AM
I just received my second FeTAp 615:

It says 615 on the bottom but it looks like a 612 from the top. Did I miss something or is the case and the base mismatched?

On closer inspection I see it does have an indicator but no button.

OK, I'm awake now. The 616 has both indicator and button so Unbeldi's 615 is really a 616. Sorry about that.

Jack

LM Ericsson

Judging by the font of the numbers and the type of fingerstop the dial has, it looks to be made by either T&N, Telefonbau und Normalzeit (letter o) or Merk (Letter d)
Regards,
-Grayson