"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Notification Emails

Started by Scotophor, June 15, 2014, 10:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotophor

Hi Dennis and crew,

Regarding email notifications of topics I have posted or replied in, at present I have only one topic set to notify me, and my notification rate is set to Daily. Here's my gripe ;) : Even on days when there are no replies in my subscribed topic(s), I still receive a Classic Rotary Phones Forum - Daily Digest email.

How difficult would it be for you and your team to reconfigure the software to simply not send the digest, when there are no replies for a member to be notified of, during the selected notification period (Daily or Weekly)? If there's some reason members might not desire this change, could it be made user-configurable, whether such "empty" digests are sent, with the default being to continue to send empty digests, and a new option being to not send them?
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Dennis Markham

A.J., after reading this I spent some time last night looking through the settings in the Admin panel of the Forum software.  There is no way to disable just the daily digest email.  I didn't even know there was such an e-mail.  When one checks the box while posting that asks for notification when a reply is made, apparently that automatically qualifies you for the weekly digest.  As I mentioned, I wasn't aware this even existed.  It must be part of the updated software package.  There is no way to turn off just that part of the notification.  You can turn off that notification entirely, as you probably know.  But you won't get notified when there is a reply to your topic.

The software is written by Simple Machines.  I do not have the knowledge to modify it or even know if it is modifiable.

~Dennis

LarryInMichigan

There is an option to be notified by email for each topic.  If you check "Notify me of replies" when posting a message, email messages will be sent when replies are posted.  I usually use this option when I post a question and want to know when someone may have answered it.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, I think what A.J. is saying is that in addition to that notification, he gets a "digest" of weekly activity, or monthly activity on the topic.  Is that what you were saying, A.J.?  I don't usually use that feature but now for this topic I have checked the box asking to be notified of replies.  I will see if I get the "digest" too.

~Dennis

Scotophor

For clarification, I was referring to the Member screen shown below, accessed via Profile > Account Settings > Notifications. See the first drop-down list box, "For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me:__________". Digest emails should only be sent if frequency is set to Daily or Weekly; with either "Instantly" option, the email should only be sent when there is a reply, so it should never be empty (and should only ever refer to one reply, so should not properly be called a "Digest").

Though, from what you've written above, it seems that Simple Machines have probably not given you the option to refrain from sending empty digests. Thanks anyway for your attention and prompt response.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6