News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My wall phone finally came!!!

Started by Bill Cahill, December 11, 2008, 12:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Wow I'm jealous, at least you guys can find the parts to fix up your house.  I just stand and stare at the  plumbing/electrical/flooring/painting aisle trying to figure out what can be done. I don't even talk to the guys at Home Depot or Lowe's because it's just a waste of time.  I get bored trying to explain how no paint they carry will adhere to my glazed plaster ceilings for more than three years, not even Killz.  Or that my porch is painted, not stained.  Or that the nipples on my lighting fixtures are 1/2"  not 3/8".  Or what an escutcheon nut is and that I don't want to wait around for them to figure out that they don't carry them.  That the 1.5 HP RotoZip will not cut through white oak.  That silicone caulk will not hold my porcelain towel rack in place.  That my pipes are brass, not copper.  You don't know how lucky you have it!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Shovelhead

I just acquired one today also. Actually re-acquired it. See, this was the phone that my wife and I got from Mountain Bell when we were in our first apartment in New Mexico in November 79. It'S a Frankenphone, a 2/62 network,3/62 base,62 ringer, haven't got it apart to check dates on the dial. Modular adapter plate to base is dated 6/79, handset casting '69, changed to modular, components in handset dated 72 & 73.
I gave it to a friend as a extension about fifteen years ago, and since he no longer has a landline I got it back.
So after a stint as a garage phone, on to the cleanup! And it still has my old dial card in it, Area Code 505. That area is now 575. Hey, anybody got a long beige modular cord doing nothing you want to sell?
UPDATE, Dial is a '77, quite cheapened up construction IMO

Dennis Markham

Shovelhead, let me check my cord bin.  I may have one.  But beige is one of the few colors one can still find in stores like Radio Shack, K-Mart etc.  I remember finding coiled handset cords in beige and ivory, maybe black.  But let me look and I'll get back with you.

Dennis

HobieSport

Quote from: Sargeguy
...That my pipes are brass, not copper.  You don't know how lucky you have it!!!

Sarge I guess I am pretty lucky going to the hardware store in our small town.  It's not like Lowes or Home Depot where you have to explain everything to the people who are supposed to be there helping you.  Here we still have the older guys at the hardware store who actually work on their own older homes.

Brass plumbing?  Including the hot and cold supply pipes?  Was that standard in the 1920s?

I don't know how to get paint to stick to your glazed ceiling.  I guess you'd have to know what it's actually glazed with to figure how to maybe get a chemical bond.  Have you tried prep-washing it first with TSP cleaner?  Sorry, I know; it's too easy to give advice...;)

bingster

Back in the 1920s, Anaconda Brass used to extoll the virtues of brass pipes in homes.  They had ads in all the old architectural and home magazines about them.  I've always wondered how many homes actually had them installed.  I guess we can count one!
= DARRIN =