"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2500 won't ring

Started by ehodge, April 26, 2020, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehodge

Hi there,
I recently got a model 2500 phone from eBay. I can make and receive calls but the only thing that doesn't work is the ringer. I checked the ringing voltage from the wall and it's about 80v AC. I'm wondering if there are some wires I can move around to make it work. Thanks in advance for your help!

poplar1

What is the white wire on G with the yellow line cord wire? And the dark wire on L1--is that the black line cord wire or the black ringer wire?

Should have red line cord wire on L2, green line cord on L1, and yellow line cord wire on G (by itself). No need for the black line cord wire. Ringer connections red to L2, black to L1, slate (gray) on K and slate-red on K. A [corrected]

Also, turn the ringer up to loud (gongs farther apart) and make sure the clapper will move back and forth easily if you push it with your finger.

Slate-green hookswitch wire on L1. Slate-yellow wire on L2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ehodge

Quote from: poplar1 on April 26, 2020, 05:49:20 PM
What is the white wire on G with the yellow line cord wire? And the dark wire on L1--is that the black line cord wire or the black ringer wire?

Should have red line cord wire on L2, green line cord on L1, and yellow line cord wire on G (by itself). No need for the black line cord wire. Ringer connections red to L2, black to L1, slate (gray) on K and slate-red on K.

Also, turn the ringer up to loud (gongs farther apart) and make sure the clapper will move back and forth easily if you push it with your finger.

Slate-green hookswitch wire on L1. Slate-yellow wire on L2.

Thanks for your help! There isn't a white wire on G, it's green but the lighting makes it look white. It connects to the cord going to the wall. The dark wire on L1 is going to the ringer. There is a black wire coming from the line cord but it has a plastic cap on it and isn't connected to anything.
Red line cord is on L2
Green line cord was on G, moved it to L1
Yellow line cord on G alone
Ringer red is on L2
Ringer black is on L1
Ringer slate is on K
Ringer slate red is on A - I just want to confirm that I should move it to K - don't want to short anything out here

Ringer has been set to loud and the clapper moves easily.
Slate green hookswitch is on L1 and slate yellow is on L2

poplar1

Slate-red on A, slate on K...sorry about that. This is part of the ringer circuit.

ehodge

Quote from: poplar1 on April 26, 2020, 09:13:40 PM
Slate-red on A, slate on K...sorry about that. This is part of the ringer circuit.
Tried this out, unfortunately it didn't work. The seller mentioned that it was hooked up to a party line at their cottage, could that have something to do with it?

Key2871

If the black is connected to l1 with the green line.
And red is on l2 with Red line, and slate on either A or K
The red slate on the other, Los A it should ring.
If it's not make sure it's turned up to loud.
If it still doesn't ring, then either the ringer is bad or the capacitor on A andK is bad.
KEN

Dennis Markham

Check your bias tension spring.  Sometimes moving that (when wired properly) will help the ringer to ring.  Attached are two photos.

~Dennis

ehodge

Quote from: Key2871 on April 26, 2020, 09:49:43 PM
If the black is connected to l1 with the green line.
And red is on l2 with Red line, and slate on either A or K
The red slate on the other, Los A it should ring.
If it's not make sure it's turned up to loud.
If it still doesn't ring, then either the ringer is bad or the capacitor on A andK is bad.

I̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶p̶a̶c̶i̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶A̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶K̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶d̶.̶ ̶D̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶v̶o̶l̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶p̶a̶c̶i̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶?̶
Was checking it wrong my bad.

ehodge

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 26, 2020, 11:05:39 PM
Check your bias tension spring.  Sometimes moving that (when wired properly) will help the ringer to ring.  Attached are two photos.

~Dennis
Thanks for the tip. I moved the bias spring over to the right but still no luck.

ehodge

I used a multimeter to probe the slate red and red wires during ringing, and it's getting to 90v AC. However when I probe the black and slate wires during ringing, it only goes up to 45V AC. Is this normal?

dsk

Take a look at this thread, http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=846.0 ,  and look at the 3 upper right terminals on your first photo in this thread.  The only difference between the 500 and 2500 is that the dial has been replaced by a dial pad.

Pretty different.

For the ringer this should still be the way to do it.  The layout of your nework is sligtly different, but the markings on the terminals should be equal. 

The G - terminal is empty, and should be so, or just for parking unused line wires.

The only difference between the 500 and 2500 is that the dial has been replaced by a dial pad.

Pretty different.

dsk

poplar1

Disconnect all 4 ringer wires. Then with the meter, check the following resistances of the ringer coil:

Black to slate -- approx. 1000 Ohms

Slate-red to red -- approx. 2650 Ohms

ehodge

Quote from: dsk on April 27, 2020, 01:02:14 AM
Take a look at this thread, http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=846.0 ,  and look at the 3 upper right terminals on your first photo in this thread.  The only difference between the 500 and 2500 is that the dial has been replaced by a dial pad.

Pretty different.

For the ringer this should still be the way to do it.  The layout of your nework is sligtly different, but the markings on the terminals should be equal. 

The G - terminal is empty, and should be so, or just for parking unused line wires.

The only difference between the 500 and 2500 is that the dial has been replaced by a dial pad.

Pretty different.

dsk
Thanks for your help. All the wires are in the correct place except that there is a slate-green wire hooked up to L1 that goes to the hookswitch - this is supposed to be here and not on the vacant terminal on F correct?

Quote from: poplar1 on April 27, 2020, 08:45:45 AM
Disconnect all 4 ringer wires. Then with the meter, check the following resistances of the ringer coil:

Black to slate -- approx. 1000 Ohms

Slate-red to red -- approx. 2650 Ohms
Black to slate is at 903 ohms and slate-red to red is at 2660 so this seems to be good

dsk

What happens if you remove the wires connected to G and just tape them?

dsk 

ehodge

Quote from: dsk on April 27, 2020, 03:08:25 PM
What happens if you remove the wires connected to G and just tape them?

dsk
Taped up the yellow wire that was on G - still no luck unfortunately.