News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2500 won't ring

Started by ehodge, April 26, 2020, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

That is also good information, if you by now have dial tone, and it gets dead by shorting L1 and L2 (just for short testing)
If the wires from the ringer are connected as described here, and non of them in other positions I am tending to believe that it is one of 2 possibilities left. 
1) A mechanical fail like the mechanism is tuck or the magnet is about equalt to nothing.  (touching with a screwdriver and feeling it is OK)
2) The capacitor hidden in the network between A and K is defect.  Putting a ringer capacitor of 0.47-1 uF non-polarized and rated at least 200V  should work as a substitute.

dsk

Babybearjs

just remember, if the phones ringer is wired right and still doesn't ring, check the following... 1. number of phones on the same line.. too many and the system could be overloaded.... 2. ringing voltage and distance from the CO.... 3. the capacitor , and or the ringer itself... I have a 445 in my bedroom and it refuses to ring at times... yet the other phones ring fine... so it the ringer itself.... see, its stuiff like that to ask yourself....
John

Key2871

The capacitor can't be checked using a VOM unless it has a capacitance setting.
So have you tried the ringer in a differant phone.
If not give that a try, if so and it still doesn't work, the ringer is bad.
KEN

poplar1

You can check for a short on the capacitor with a meter.

You can check for an open capacitor with an analog meter. By using the ohm setting, put the leads on A and K for a few seconds. Then reverse the leads. If the capacitor is good, the "kick" from the capacitor will cause the meter to jump.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ehodge

Thanks again for everyone's help.
I gave up trying to fix it and put the phone back together and left it on my nightstand... definitely jolted me awake when the phone started to ring the next morning, so I guess its fixed now! Its pretty quiet on the loud setting and the quiet setting doesn't ring at all but that will suffice.

dsk

Nice to hear that it works, and the description tells me that it is a mechanical problem. Hopefully tuning of the ringer.  On the other hand maybe not any need of louder ring if you woke up as described.

dsk