News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My "new" 554

Started by jpyle2, August 20, 2010, 12:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpyle2

Just got what I think is a WE554 rotary wall phone. Haven't tried to hook it up yet, just took cover off and looked inside. I will try to find wire diagrams here to connect to house line. Did notice that two wires coming off the coil next to the ringer bells were not connected , but were run outside the phone housing. Need to find out where they need to be connected if at all. I love this phone already and can,t wait to get it working. I did noticea post that said something about changing the wiring to work with today's house wiring. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find the information I need, I will be very grateful. Thank you

bingster

Welcome, jpyle1!  You can find a simple wiring diagram here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2767.0

Today's single-line house wiring is identical to single-line house wiring from a hundred years ago, so once the phone's wiring is put back the way it originally was, you'll probably have a fully functioning telephone. 
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

All US phone lines consist of two wires (known as a pair); usually one red and one green.  The wiring inside the house, especially a newer house or apartment usually has a bunch of extras for expansion.  The wires inside the wall for a telephone line are the blue/white and white/blue pair.

Hook one of the wires to the terminal on the 554 labeled L1 and the other wire to L2 and you should be in business.
-Bill G

jpyle2

I am in business. The phone does work. Thank you very much!!

McHeath

Glad you got it going, there are very helpful folks here. 

On a side note these old phones almost always work.  It's rare to find one that actually is not usable.  They will probably long outlive us all.