News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE302 only dials 5 digits...

Started by RandyGreene, August 22, 2010, 02:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyGreene

This is a great site.  I just got a WE 302 on eBay and it is in clean, original shape.  I just installed a new cloth cord with the modular plug.  The original was a 3-wire, the replacement is a 4-wire.  I didn't use the black.  I get a dial tone and it will get past that when dialed but if I dial over 5 digits it goes busy.  I did call information as a test - 411 and it worked fine.  I have a WE 500 series dial phone here which works perfectly.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Randy Greene
Manassas, VA

bingster

Welcome! A couple things to check...

It could be that the dial is running too slow or too fast.  If you time the dial, it should take one second to make a complete return, so if you dial "0" and start counting off seconds, remove your finger on a second mark, and see if it takes one second to travel back to a rest.

Also, what sort of phone service do you have?  VOIP often won't recognize pulses from rotary phones, whereas standard Verizon service is very forgiving of off-speed dials.
= DARRIN =

RandyGreene

Thank you so much for replying to my question.  Yes.  I did time the dial speed as you suggested and it takes one second to return from "0".  I have Verizon Fios here at home but what throws me is that my trusty WE 500 dials perfectly over the Fios.  I guess I would be satisfied to know the 302 I bought does work just not on Fios but it would be better if I could use it.

Thank you!

AdamAnt316

Verizon FiOS is extremely picky about the rate of dial pulses. I have a number of phones whose dials worked fine on our old Verizon copper line service, yet now aren't fully recognized by FiOS.
-Adam

Doug Rose

Usually WE #6 dials will work fine with your VOIP service. The older dials #2, #4 and #5 are hit and miss dialing out with VOIP. Steve Hilsz can calibrate your older dials to work on the VOIP service for only $6 a dial. Such a deal!  A Panasonic 616 is truly worth its weight in gold if you have the rotary obsession.....Doug
Kidphone

RandyGreene

Thank you all so much for your help.  I will send in my dial for repair.