Main Menu

Landlines going away?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 08:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

See and hear about this happening all over.

We keep the landline for multiple reasons: 

1.  We have an alarm and don't trust either a cellular dialer to be reliable enough or a VOIP service. 

2.  We need a fixed line for the occasional kidsitter to use. 

3.  We like the five 9's trustworthiness of the system, which is in contrast to our Verizon service which is not something you want to bet on here in our region.  (It will drop service here in the house whenever it feels like it) 

4.  We like the better sound quality of the landline. 

5.  We don't trust cell phones for 911 calls.  (I know they have improved and how they have improved, but still don't trust them for a critical call) 

As we use only measured local service it's dirt cheap, about 6 dollars a month.  What's not to like about that?  What reasons do the rest of you antique phone folks have for keeping a landline in this hipster era of all cell all the time?

Dan/Panther

Maybe not in the very near future, but I do forsee a day when all communications, will be wireless. Not to say, that we will lose our
vintage items, but I will say, they will be usable by some form of converter box not unlike the DT converters for television. If they don't make a commercial converter, someone from our group will.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Quote from: McHeath on September 21, 2008, 10:26:32 PMWhat reasons do the rest of you antique phone folks have for keeping a landline in this hipster era of all cell all the time?
I have a good reason... I don't have a cell phone. ;)  I don't like the hefty monthly bill, and I generally dislike talking on the phone anyway, so having somebody want to natter on about nothing while I'm standing in line somewhere is a fate worse than death for me. 

But I don't have a traditional landline either--I get my phone service from the cable company. 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bingster on September 22, 2008, 12:21:30 AM
Quote from: McHeath on September 21, 2008, 10:26:32 PMWhat reasons do the rest of you antique phone folks have for keeping a landline in this hipster era of all cell all the time?
But I don't have a traditional landline either--I get my phone service from the cable company. 

But don't you miss phone service ?
Sorry I couldn't resist that...... ;D ;D ;D

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

I never liked cell phones. I can't read either the tiny screens, nor the pad. I don't like the expense, They are tinny, expensive, and, too small.

I don't much care for verizon either. After they cheated me on my DSL service, I quit the DSL with them......

I use a cordless phone, but, battery death really upsets me, as does poor reception in parts of my house, and, the digital  loud beep I occasionally get when it doesn't like the sound.
That really annoys me....
I'm going to fill my house with older phones I like. I'll even get an older 70's push button phone......
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill

Like Bingster, I get my phone service from the cable company. And old phones, like my 202, seem to work just fine. I guess that makes after some thought, but I just wasn't sure.

But the cable comapny's phone is expensive, so my next step may be Vonage - also a VOIP setup, like the cable company. I expect to be able to hook up my 202 there, as well.

Bill

mienaichizu

for me, landline is still a necessity even though I have my own cellphone

TIPandRING

Quote from: McHeath on September 21, 2008, 10:26:32 PM

What reasons do the rest of you antique phone folks have for keeping a landline in this hipster era of all cell all the time?

I like to fall back into a simpler time, right in my swingin' bachelor pad, back to a time of dry martinis and foxy broads...

BDM

What reason? Hmmm, well cell phones irritate me. I'm a fairly tall/big guy. The phones feel like toys in my hands. Second, every since that blackout of 2003, my trust in the ol'landline increased two fold. At that time, I had AT&T. It worked, while everything else was out. Funny, I had two different cordless phones hooked up, and one 302. Of course the cordless phones were useless without power at the base. Several neighbors who had only cordless phones found themselves without service. Cell phones were a joke and useless. 5 different neighbors used my trusty 302 to call family.

But, hard to say now. I have Vonage, which would be useless if the service ever goes down again.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Anyone ever got rid of their cell phone service and gone back to all landline all the time?