News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

You guys ever heard of the "famous walking cradle"?

Started by TIPandRING, October 06, 2008, 08:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TIPandRING

Thought I'd bring this up, I learned this only not-to-long-ago, even after many years of playing around with AE (automatic electric) phones...

Many gripe that the model 80 is "ugly" compared to its big corporate competitor the WE 500 table model phone. But the true beauty is in the design.

AE's are rounded, don't have the sharp cradle points that the WE's do.  Why???

This is know as the  "walking" cradle.

With the WE phones, one must deliberately and carefully put down the handset to hang up the phone.

With AE phones, just put the handset close to the cradle and it will "walk" itself into position. Go ahead, Try it!!

The round fronts of the cradle area aid in this.

Now ya know :o

benhutcherson

Another thing I've always liked about the AE80 is that the hook switch can be flipped down and will stay in place, keeping the phone on-hook, when the cover is removed. That makes it really nice to be able to work on a live phone without needing three or four hands.

I'm definitely a WE man through and through, but the AE80 is a really slick design.

mienaichizu

really, I have a working AE80 at my house, I should try it

bingster

I've always liked the AE80's lower profile.  I think the way the handset sits lower "into" the phone is a nice styling feature.  Even though I've heard about the 500's handset not seating properly, I don't think I've ever had it happen to me.  I'm having a hard time even making it happen.
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Hmmm. May I see pictures???
Sounds like an interesting phone.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

My entire experience with an AE walking cradle is about 3 minutes at an antique store, which remains the only time I've ever been around one in person.

Seemed like a nice enough design.

However this problem with hanging up the 500 handset befuddles me.  Been using the dang things for about 35 years, and I've never had any trouble hanging it up.  To me this walking cradle seems like an ad mans creation, looking for a problem that really was not there. 

Others mileage may vary.

BDM

I must agree. Without someone telling me, I didn't know after all these years, that there was a problem hanging up a 500 series. ???
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Quote from: McHeath on October 07, 2008, 12:25:36 AM
My entire experience with an AE walking cradle is about 3 minutes at an antique store, which remains the only time I've ever been around one in person.

Seemed like a nice enough design.

However this problem with hanging up the 500 handset befuddles me.  Been using the dang things for about 35 years, and I've never had any trouble hanging it up.  To me this walking cradle seems like an ad mans creation, looking for a problem that really was not there. 

Others mileage may vary.

I haven't really ever had any trouble with the WE system, either. If I get the receiver slightly off while hanging up the weight makes the set hang up properly. The hand units seem to be well balanced.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."