News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Model Kellogg is this? How common are they ?

Started by Dan/Panther, September 18, 2008, 09:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Can someone tell me what model this is, and how common are they ?
I'm sure it's Kellogg, vintage 1910 maybe ?

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

No one has any idea what this is ?
Can someone direct me to where I might get more information.
Dan/Panther

bingster

I'm out, regarding this one.  The handset does look like Kellogg's Grabaphone handset, but I can't find any pictures of it mounted on anything but a desk stand.  That doesn't mean it isn't a Kellogg, it's just that I can't find a picture of one. 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
I can't find anything like it either.
However the Handset has a ring at the earpiece end, and the generator hand crank box has a cradle that is hooked on the end to accomodate the handset.
I guess I'll keep looking.
Regards;
Dan/Panther

Dan/Panther

Mike Neale has a copy of the Kellogg pamphlet number 151, dated June 1917. On page 6 is comes as close as I can get to what I'm trying to find out. It may be a combination of the model # 722 Wall box, and the Model # 2328 D.S. Box.
OR it may be a very very rare prototype never released to the public, and worth millions.
It could happen.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/kelloggtelephone/

Refer to 1917 various pdf.

Dan/Panther

Dan/Panther

Why would someone take two collectable phones, take them apart, and make a hybrid that basically has no collectable value ?

Dan/Panther

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 19, 2008, 12:00:15 PM
Why would someone take two collectable phones, take them apart, and make a hybrid that basdically has no collectable value ?

Dan/Panther

It's not a matter of someone having two complete phones and switching parts, but rather someone with an incomplete phone that finds mismatched parts to make it complete.  I'll bet that 75% of old wood phones out there have been pieced together in just that way.  Finding an unmolested example is rare!

HELLO CENTRAL

;D molested telephones ??? ::)  Is there an WWSPMT  (World-Wide Society for the Prevention of Molested Telephones) 8) :P
HELLO CENTRAL.

bingster

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 19, 2008, 12:00:15 PM
Why would someone take two collectable phones, take them apart, and make a hybrid that basdically has no collectable value ?

Dan/Panther
I'm not sure this is a hybrid, though. These wooden boxes are often found with handsets hanging from the side.  It could very well be completely original. 

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 19, 2008, 12:23:43 PM
I'll bet that 75% of old wood phones out there have been pieced together in just that way.  Finding an unmolested example is rare!
And when it comes to payphones, I bet the percentage of pieced-together phones is something around 95%. 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Here is a page that shows about the closest thing to what I've got, but not all pieces are on the same phone that i have.
Dan/Panther

bingster

This may not help with your identification, but there's an auction running right now that shows a phone just like the one you posted (bottom row, toward the right):

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-collection-Antique-Wall-Telephones-Museum-Quality_W0QQitemZ350100224471QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350100224471&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ( dead link 03-27-21 )
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens