News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'59 W E 500 I won!!!!!

Started by Bill Cahill, September 19, 2008, 10:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

I finnished cleaning case, polished bells, and, polished mounting bracket for dial.  By the naked eye, the case looks great. However, with the camera, I'm a little dissappointed. See what you guys think.
Bill Cahill

Well, I still have to do a better dusting inside, clean switches, more polishing of innards, replace two dial parts, new line cord, finnish polishing hand set, tighten connections, etc.... At least to the naked eye, it looks great.
Bill Cahill

Just did a little more polishing. The flash is multiplying the fine scratches, and, the room isn't well lit, but, this is a big improvement.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

Lookin' mighty good.  These early 500s in black have a certain appeal about them, methinks.  My wife has one on her desk and it's got far more character than my ivory 500 I bought new in 84'.  (Last of the WE phones)  Your black 500 is turning into a real nice keeper.

Bill Cahill

Thanks. I'm really starting to like it myself.
To my naked eye, it nearly looks perfect now. A couple minor scratches left, and, some very fine  ones only the camera flash catches.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

;D Well, here are some semi final pictures of polished phone. One side is perfect, except minor blemishes. Other side needs more work. Front needs further cleaning. Back looks good. Notice the two cans of polish I have been using...... 8)
Bill Cahill

HELLO CENTRAL

:D Reminded me to find one of my 500s.  Sorry don't have a camera yet . . . digital. . .this one is marked, C/D 500 4/55  with an 0? 1 handset.  It's in excellent condition, missing the telephone number in the center.  The handset chord is not curled, and has heavy duty at receiver end.  Not sure who tied string to the line chord or when.  It works.
HELLO CENTRAL.

Bill Cahill

:)  Well, folks, here is what you've been waiting for....
The final outside photos of the polished case on my phone.
I wish to thank here Dan Panther for his excellent ideas on using the polish to clean up the dirt, and, remove the scratches, and,  the soft cloth to remove the fine scratches.

On top of that, I used steel wool, moving side to side to remove the initial scratches, and, dirt, a soft cloth to remove the light scratches left behind by the steel wool, and,  Lemon pledge to give the final polish  to the case. This case now looks nearly flawless to me, and, I'm very happy with it.  ;D
See pics below..
Bill Cahill

Dan/Panther

Notice the feet, Bill says they are a plastic material, all 500 I've seen personally, and I'm not saying I've seen all types, have  felt covered feet.but when did they use the plastic feet.
Actually they look nice to me.
D/P
Bill That's Dan/Panther, NOT Dip Pan........
P.S. I see a tiny scratch you missed.....

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Dear Dip Pan,
They are hard rubber. Not plastic. ::)
One scratch. Big Deal!!!!
Bill Cahill

Dan/Panther

I apologize to Bill, I thought he said, Plastic, well plastic, or hard rubber, they still look better than mine.

D/P

P.S. Nice work.

bingster

These feet were used for a short time between the leather feet of the 1950s and the little round plastic feet of the 1960s and later
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster, what are they made of.
Rubber or Plastic ? :-\

D/P
I hate it when Bill's right, don't tell him though. :o

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 27, 2008, 06:10:11 PM
Bingster, what are they made of.
Rubber or Plastic ? :-\

D/P
I hate it when Bill's right, don't tell him though. :o

rubber...hard rubber
(whispering so Bill won't hear)

Bill Cahill

Duh, I HEARD THAT!!!!!!  ;D
Bill Cahill

Dan/Panther