News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody here get this one?

Started by bingster, August 29, 2009, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

It went for a fair price for a regular 202, but this one is... drum roll please... Oxidized Silver. 

Definitely the bargain of the day.

= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I had that on my radar all week.  I had a friend check it out and he felt it was an original.  It was only $53 this morning and I thought about bidding before I left for the day but did not.  That was a very good price for that phone.

jsowers

I think it's beautiful how they were able to paint on the oxidation part. It looks like old slightly tarnished silverware. Definitely a bargain there. I never saw it. I had the unenviable task of being in the local emergency room with my mom for almost 7 hours yesterday! She strained something in her left hip getting off the couch and can't walk well. Anyway, Dennis you should have bid. But then you'd want to find all the colors and those are awfully scarce in good shape. I've read how they used to keep extras for the Vanderbilts, etc. because only wealthy people could afford these phones in the 1930s and when the paint would wear, a call would come to replace it ASAP.
Jonathan

McHeath

Sorry to hear about your mom's woes, getting older just plain sucks in a lot of ways eh?

I'd never even heard about or seen these kind of phones before this forum.  Pretty neat items. 

Dennis Markham

Jonathan, I hope your mother is improving.  It's fortunate that you are near-by  to take care of her.

Attached is a photo of three phones that belong to Mark Scola (I don't think he'd mind me showing them off).  They are Oxidized Silver, Old Brass and Statuary Bronze............I think.

jsowers

Dennis, thanks for posting that. The fingerwheel in the auction phone looks black to me. Does it to you? I like the painted, shaded fingerwheel on Mark's phone better. And do these phone colors remind anyone else of the metallic crayons in the Crayola 64 pack? The silver, copper and gold ones? Now that's a childhood memory I won't soon forget.

Mom is about the same. The orthopedic doc can't see her until tomorrow.
Jonathan