News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Greetings from Alaska

Started by Grumpy99705, November 04, 2011, 04:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy99705

Hello all, my name is Mike & I'm a new member to the forum. I've been collecting and restoring for a couple years now and am in the process of inheriting not so much a collection as a museum.
My grandfather worked for and ran a rural phone company in central Iowa from 1937 to 1979 and he passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 99.
I've told my dad that anything pertaining to phones is to be set aside. He's begun sending me boxes of "things". I've NOS 108A coils, breastplate transmitters, NOS Kellogg Type 64 xmiters, a Stewart test set, and what would have been a NOS K1000 w/ a magneto base. Unfortunately the case was cracked in shipment. But it's still salvageable, as soon as I get smart with superglue and bondo.
Bear in mind, this is/was an independent company, and as such relied mostly on Kellogg and S/C equipment, with a few Leich thrown in for good measure.
I am going to need a lot of help identifying much of this stuff, as well as determining the collecting value of some of it.
Much of it will be put for sale or trade as I try to complete my Masterphone collection.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

HarrySmith

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum! My condolences on the loss of your Dad. I am sure he would be pleased his collection is going to someone in the family who will appreciate it. You will find many friendly people here who will be happy to help. If we do not have the answer we will help in finding it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Hi Mike and welcome. Where are you in Alaska? I'm down the coast a little bit in Vancouver.

Terry

cihensley@aol.com

Hi Mike:

Welcome to the Form. I am also curious about where in Alaska you live. I lived there for almost eight years.

Chuck

Grumpy99705

I live up near Fairbanks. I was stationed at Fort Wainwright until I retired from the army, and we just decided to stay.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

cihensley@aol.com

HI Mike

I was in Fairbanks around ten times for a total of about two weeks. The rest of the time I was in the Anchorage and Matanuska Valley area.

Chuck

stub

Grumpy99705 ,
                       Welcome to the Forum. Sorry for your loss.
                        I lived in Fairbanks 59 and 60. Air Force brat ;D  
                         You know you have to show off your Masterphone
                          collection 8)    Later,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Grumpy99705

I need to get some new pics taken of the phones after I've cleaned them up.
I do have pics of most of my phones on the ATCAclub & singingwires yahoo group's photos page under MikeB. They are in the "as found" condition for the most part.
My latest find is a Kellogg Catalog #7 dtd 1926, a S/C catalog dtd 1940 and another S/C dtd 1948.
I hope to get the Stromberg Carlson's scanned in the not too distant future, funding dependent.