News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Record collections and turntable setups

Started by mentalstampede, July 04, 2017, 09:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

Since John posted the blurb yesterday about Sony music getting back into the vinyl business, I figured I'd start a thread about record collecting and turntable setups.

I've been collecting records for several years now, and while they have not supplanted digital formats for everyday use I do greatly enjoy putting a record on and rocking out.

My turntable is a JVC QL-A5 from the late '70s. It's a quartz-locked direct-drive table with automatic shutoff, and it's currently wearing an Ortofon 2m Red cartridge. It's a good sounding setup, without breaking the bank; audiophile grade stuff gets into the area of diminishing returns really quickly in my opinion. The rest of the system consists of a 100 watt Yamaha receiver and a pair of Polk Monitor series speakers. It is definitely loud enough to annoy the neighbors if I wanted to!

My records are a diverse bunch, running the range from old country and western to classic rock (lots of that!) to more modern metal and hard rock. Variety is the spice of life.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Doug Rose

I just picked up a high end BANG & OLUFSEN B&O BEOGRAM RX TURNTABLE & MMC-2 CARTRIDGE. at a flea market a few weeks ago on Father's Day. I got it working today and I am thrilled with it, looks almost brand new. I hooked it up this morning and it played wonderfully. I found Fleetwood Mac Rumors and was amazed at how good it sounded....Doug
Kidphone

mentalstampede

That's a neat table, Doug. The B&O stuff looks really gnarly with that skinny little tonearm and cartridge.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Doug Rose

B & O is wicked expensive as well. Guy said it didn't work so I got it really cheap. It looked brand new. I sold all my records a long time a go. We picked up the Rumors LP at a yard sale Saturday to test it out. Plays beautifully. I had to hook it up the the receiver I have on the wrap around front porch as it is the only one that we own that has a phono input. Four Bose outdoor speakers. Porch is split into two sections, a set of speakers on each side. Yes, its covered! You should have seen me running the cable for the speakers  8). It is loud when I crank it up....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

Looks like a good clean record too, nice rainbow effect on the surface, means it's either low-use or just really well looked after... :)

Doug Rose

Played like it was brand new....no static or record noise. Not bad for a .25. It is one of my favorite record covers and it is perfect, still in the cello which I though would create static on the album, but it did not....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Pioneer PL-112D turntable. For an amp I use a Pioneer SX-780 receiver(45 watts per channel). Below the receiver is a JVC cassette player. All made in Japan.

The PL-12 series is legendary in that it brought a very decent quality hi-fi sound to a mass market in the 1970s. For this reason, it was one of the best selling turntables in the 1970s in terms of bang for your buck. Rock solid build quality, easy to maintain and good sound for the money.

Second paragraph thanks to vinylengine.com, a great turntable information source.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=28192
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

My other turntable is a Pioneer PL=518. Direct drive semi-automatic. It has a built-in strobe with an illuminated light/calibration arrangement so that you may keep a visual check on the platter's accurate speed.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

My choice in music is classic and hard rock (Alice Cooper, AC/DC, David Lee Roth, etc.) But I also enjoy a lot of other genre, operetta (Gilbert & Sullivan) , pop (Michael Jackson).
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

This one's my main turntable, my Pioneer PL-400, had it for 3 years now and it's a great unit, fitted with an AT95e cartridge, the lid "borrowed" from my PL-720 (which is buried somewhere), coupled to my Cambridge Audio CA540p pre-amp which goes into a line attenuator then after that it's either piped into a cheap chinese stereo amplifier hooked up to some Sony mini-HiFi speakers, or to my Turtle Beach PX-21 gaming headset (sounds amazing to my ears!)... :)

Did make a thread about it back in 2014, but never made it past the first post:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11894.0

Think I had my MECO record playing there ("Music From Star Trek And The Black Hole")...

mentalstampede

Doug Rose

Kidphone