News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Howdy, some WE 334A questions...

Started by vicvalis, September 10, 2014, 09:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicvalis

...I'm new in town, currently working on restoring a WE 334A subset. Previous owner did a so-so job at painting the cover and might have fooled around a little on the inside, so I have no moral problems with really getting into the innards and doing a total restoration. First question is about wiring schematics: I'm missing the original schematic from subset  that would have been pasted to the inside of the subset cover. Most of the other labels that would have been present I can reproduce, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has a good image or scan of the original schematic 334A document, and knows the dimensions? I'd be happy to clean it up in photoshop, make a vector file and post it for future use.
My second question is about the wiring of the induction coil to the block. Is there a schematic of the wiring of a #20 induction coil to the block anywhere out there I can consult, in case I decide to try replacing the wiring (the connection between it and the condenser was very fragile, at some point in the past someone may have fooled around with it). I poked around the boards but didn't find one   (at least nothing I recognized as such).
With luck, I may be posting some images in the near future, though this project is one of those only-when -I-have-spare-time projects. Thanks for the help!

jeff

TelePlay

Welcome to the forum, the best place in the world to get old phone information.

Can you take a few photos of your subset and post them to this topic?

This link will help you with posting them. Remember to keep their size down to under 2Mbytes for schematic type files and 500K for photos. If you try to upload a photo bigger than 2 Mbytes, it may lock up the topic in which you are posting the phone - an experience shared by several members, including me.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=84.0

Someone out there with knowledge of the 334 will answer the questions in your post.

And, again, welcome to the forum.

vicvalis

Here's a few pix: an overall before disassembly, a closer-up of condenser and coil, and the induction coil. Upon removing them from the bracket, one of the wires (marked black, but green now that I look at it) broke off at the solder point to the condenser. The ringer had spade terminals, so I was able to remove it without breaking anything. Hopefully I'm posting the right images, and not my vacation pictures.

jeff

Phonesrfun

The 334A is wired identically to the wooden 295A.

Here is a link on this forum to the 295A diagram.  It should work for you.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11379.0

connect:
Ringer red to L1
Ringer black to C
Induction coil 1 to L1
Induction coil 2 to R
Induction coil 3 to C
Induction coil 4 to GN
L2 to Y
one side of the condenser to L2
Other side of the condenser to C

Phone line connects one side to L1 and the other to L2

Sidetone phone connects:

Red wire to R
Green wire to GN
Yellow wire to L2/Y

-Bill G

vicvalis

Thanks, I saw that thread earlier, good to have the confirmation that that schematic will work. Looks like I'm wanting to use the earlier version if I'm not mistaken. Any special order to wire color? I see what looks like white, black and green (looking at the photos, I don't have the coil in front of me), but don't know what time might have done to the wire colors, and whether they were standardized or not.

Phonesrfun

Induction coil wires I think tended not to be color coded.  Usually black I think.  I might be able to find my 334 A.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Here is the diagram from the inside front cover of my 334A.  I took it with my iphone.  Hopefully it is in good enough detail.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

A couple more
-Bill G

vicvalis

Thanks folks, this is all great. I'll have to check my photos, but it looks like there is some sort of consistency in the colors of the wires between the block and the coil, just don't know if it was ever formalized into a code. The photos of the schematic look great! I had a photo of it I found on an ebay auction, but it was a little fuzzy and I couldn't sharpen it. I'll see what I can do with it . I'll probably have more questions (and more photos) in the next few days, but what you've given me so far is very useful.

jeff

Phonesrfun

Yeah, it is hard to get a good picture inside the cover, and get decent light.  It is not the best sharpness to begin with.  It looks like some of the wires are green and some black.  They are also bound in a harness, which makes it harder to visually trace without an ohm meter.
-Bill G

poplar1

Here's what I think the diagram shows:

Induction
Coil|:       Wire Color:    to Terminal:

1----------Black------------L1
2----------Red--------------R
3----------Black------------C
4---------Green------------GN

Condenser:

Red--------------C
              Green------------L2
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

unbeldi

The No. 20 induction coil was the forerunner of the No.46 induction coil for common battery talking applications. They are interchangeable where space permits.
The primary winding (transmitter circuit) is on terminals 1 and 2, and the secondary (receiver) is on terminals 3 and 4.

Similarly, the 120 is the anti-sidetone version, just like the 146.

vicvalis

The diagram does look like it reflects the colors of the wiring on my coil, though those colors are faded: my black looks more like a grey, and the red looks more like a white. Here are some pdf files: the schematic, and the list of patent dates (taken from an image on ebay). Dimensions are probably off, and not sure if that list of dates would be the same in the 334A, as it came from the wood version.

Sargeguy

I usually take the condenser and coil out in one piece, as you've learned those old wires can be brittle.  I spray them with contact cleaner and use an old toothbrush to scrub away the grime
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409