"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modular Adapters and 4 Prong Plugs/Jacks for Spade Cords

Started by ntophones, November 23, 2009, 01:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Thank you for sharing that!
I tried something else, but, I think I'm going to try that solution.
--nto

Dan

If my phones have a 4 pronger , I sometimes "modify" it. This works, and you can keep it original. People don't see how it is connected, only they hear it when ir rings...

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Craig T

Well after seeing that awesome board of wall jacks and plugs at the Southern California show, I dug out the handful of stuff I have to show. If any of you have any to show off, please post them.

Pic 1&2: coded a C7, this mod. adapter was given to lease customers.

Pic 3: this is a 505A. It is the only one I have. I am looking to buy a gray one if they make it.

Pic 4: WE 42A (painted white) and the WE 12E I bought the other day. I seen 4-6 of the 42A in the same building but they were painted white. I will have to see if they are a different color on the inside.

Pic 5: Some aftermarket 4 prong plugs with a modular plug built right in.

Pic 6: A hard wire to modular adapter by Archer.

foots

I should know this but, when installing a 4 prong connector onto a line cord, which wires go where?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

JorgeAmely

Look closely around the screws of the 4 prong connector. They have little captions with the color names next to the screws.
Jorge

foots

Jorge, the Taiwanese 4 prong I have doesn't have anything by the terminals. I did however remember that I have a couple other 4 prong connectors that did.

JorgeAmely

As you look at the screws:

Upper Right = Red
Upper Left   = Green
Lower Right = Yellow
Lower Left   = Black

Cord entry at 6 o'clock position.
Jorge

foots

Thanks Jorge. That's how I hooked it up - my SC 1243 is working fine.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

pots-head

I found a source for 4-prong jacks - http://www.allentelproducts.com/catalog/dept_id_381/model_AT404B.htm - but does anyone know where I can get 4-prong plugs?  Not the modular-to-4-prong adapters, but the actual plugs themselves; either old or new.  I've had no luck.

Thanks!

Phonesrfun

I don't know for sure, but you could try either Phonecoinc.com or oldphoneworks.com

I do know that phoneco sells a female 4-prong to male modular pigtail adapter.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

-Bill G

benkeys

I was looking at the 4 prong to modular adapters on eBay the other day and seen they were quite pricey.. Is there a reason they are so expensive? i'm just curious as i want to get one for my 1950's 500 some time down the line. When the time comes where is the best inexpensive place to get one?
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

RotarDad

Yes, they seem to be $12 or so on Ebay, but you'd think that this would be a $3 item.  I think the issue must be that they are made in low volume (not much demand when compared with modern phone plugs).  I decided to wait until I saw one attached to a phone I wanted on Ebay and bought mine that way.  The adapter was then essentially free, and I got to feel a bit smug in the process.... 8)
Paul

benkeys

Right, but i guess that is what happens when things are uncommon. I just do not see paying that much for one. I think i will just get some alligator clips and use them to attach 2 wires to the plug and hook it up direct with no plug. From what year to what year were the 4 prong plugs used on phones? roughly? I'm still learning about phones.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....