News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What to do with a NOS phone?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, September 17, 2016, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just bought what looks like a brand new WE 1712. It has the original wrapping for the handset, original box for the light, and a speaker with covers still on the ends of the cord terminals. I paid a pretty high price (yet still a decent deal) of $185 plus shipping.

My problem now is: how do I display it?

I could keep it locked up in it's box all the time, but why have it if it can't be displayed? I could also assemble everything, but keep the light box, handset cover, and all wrappings in the box and display the phone but not use it. (my personal favorite option)

What do you guys think?? :-\

www.ebay.com/itm/142119465245
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

twocvbloke

if you're after financial value, keep it in the box (though it's already been de-boxed so that's some value lost already), but for personal and aesthetic value, put it on display as it is, don't assemble it, just lay it out in a similar manner to the picture and enjoy it...

I can't understand how people keep things NIB, tucked away in some corner, never seeing the light of day hoping that someday it'll be worth millions, for the majority it never works out that way, and as we've seen with that Bell Picturephone, if it's rare, it'll fetch money, whether or not it's NIB... :)

TelePlay

Any idea of why it was taken apart?

WEBellSystemChristian

The seller said it was given to him disassembled that way. It was definitely not from the factory that way, and the seller said he doesn't know how everything goes together. I gave him specific instructions to wrap each loose piece in plenty of bubble wrap, and to not ship the phone in the original box!

The handset was definitely mated to the base from the factory, or those covers the speaker cord has would be attached to the terminals on the handset cord.

If I display it, I might try the F21 spray to prevent sun fading.
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

It is not NIB.
It is a refurbished unit. Probably C-stock.  The dial pad has an R stamp on it.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on September 17, 2016, 11:25:28 AM
It is not NIB.
It is a refurbished unit. Probably C-stock.  The dial pad has an R stamp on it.
So how much does that affect value? Would it be a crime to fully assemble the phone, but keep everything it was wrapped in?
Christian Petterson

poplar1

The main problem is that you have a 25A3 dial, rather than a 25H4 dial with translucent buttons. The mounting cord is either a different color or badly discolored.

Thankfully, the seller offers a 14-day refund, in case you change your mind. Finding a new old stock 25H4 dial might be difficult.

The cardboard package for the lamp is the kind the phone co. mailed out to customers so that they could change the lamps themselves, using a coin to remove the lamp holder.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on September 17, 2016, 12:25:14 PM
The main problem is that you have a 25A3 dial, rather than a 25H4 dial with translucent buttons. The mounting cord is either a different color or badly discolored.

Thankfully, the seller offers a 14-day refund, in case you change your mind. Finding a new old stock 25H4 dial might be difficult.

The cardboard package for the lamp is the kind the phone co. mailed out to customers so that they could change the lamps themselves, using a coin to remove the lamp holder.
Were there any differences between the 25A3 and 25H4 pads other than the buttons? I could switch out the buttons from an early 12 button Princess pad.

I guess I feel a little better that this one isn't completely original; it's not some untouched treasure. I at least get to do some repair/part replacement to it!
Christian Petterson

Dennis Markham

FYI, the seller is a member of this forum:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=65

John has found a lot of nice phones along the way, mostly from the Chicago area.

~Dennis

Jim Stettler

The princess buttons were illuminated, so the dial has a light source. You might be able to use a 12 button princess  keypad with the 10 button front bezel.
Just a thought,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

There are at least 2 1702Bs for sale on Ebay right now -- not new, but with the right dial, for under $100. A nice aqua blue one sold last week for $45.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.