News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Changing an AE 80 handset cord

Started by phoneguy06, October 23, 2008, 06:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phoneguy06

So here's my dilemma: I ordered a new pink handset cord to replace the one on my AE 80. The trouble is, the wires on the new cord are red, white, and black as opposed to the red, green, black, and yellow present on the original cord. My question is, which wires go to which terminals, both in the handset and on the network? I have the new cord installed in the phone at the moment, and as it is it works, but the receiver element volume is lower than it ought to be. The network in the phone is the earlier NB (potted) network. Did Phoneco accidentally send me a WE configured cord, or is there any difference in new handset cords? The crimps on the cord don't match the 80 either, and I specified AE when I ordered, so I'm a little confused. Thanks for any assistance you wise people in this forum might offer!

Dennis Markham

That sounds more like a line cord, with those colors.  Is it possible to use the cord on your AE?  Is there a strain relief where there needs to be?  If so you can use the new cord as long as you connect the wires properly.  The wires don't know what color they are so if you use the same color at both ends it should work.  But as you suggest, they may have sent you the wrong cord and you should probably check on that.  I will look at one of my AE 80's and see what the colors are on the handset cord.  I don't recall from memory.