News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I'm not sure I can go along with the fire extinguisher lamps.  At least the electric meters can be converted without doing any irreversible damage.  But I guess it's like Harry says... Better than in a landfill.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Somewhere there are vintage electric meter collectors having a fit!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: ae_collector on October 01, 2010, 09:26:58 PM
We're going to need a picture of the Strowger Switch Lamp....

Terry

I will try to get one posted soon. Did I mention it is clear and works?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on October 02, 2010, 08:23:31 PM
I will try to get one posted soon. Did I mention it is clear and works?
Jim

A clear cover and the switch is unharmed so that it would likely still work? Or is there a power supply connected and a means to have the switch step up and in? If so, it needs to have a Phone lamp connected to the Strowger lamp for demo purposes!

Terry

Jim Stettler

The cover is glass with the various Bell emblems etched on them.  When it is working right, you push the button and it steps up all the way. It then starts swiping over. Each side step increases the light intensity 10%. You can push the button to stop the light on the leval you want.

It currently has a loose connection on the power supply. To fix it I need to remove some glass, One of the panels had been removed and symbolically broken (retiree died before retirement).
Eventually I will replace the glass, dust and tighten the inside and rig A John Infurna Lampshade on it.,

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I got it from a retired WE executive. (His final project was the 1984 Olympic games phone system).

He got himself on the retirement committee to design retirement gifts for outgoing executives. They bulked out the project with many frivilous details, most of which were cut for budget reasons (which was why they were included anyway).

He said it took 100's of man hours to design. they selected switch dates to try to match hire dates.

JKL has a retirement switch lamp as well. Their's isn't etched. I think it is newer and was probably made from the design of mine.
Jim
BTW I got the lamp as part of the $8,000 collection I bought in the early 1990's. I also got a 3' brass bell emblem and Western Electric in Brass. When they were removing it from the LA office he told them to be careful with because he was keeping it (the perks of rank).
It is currently mounted on the side of the JKL Museum.
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

Very interesting...thanks Jim. Post a picture wen you can.

What is the LZA office?

Terry

Jim Stettler

The LA office I threw in the Z to see if anyone was paying attention. ::)

Jim
You live, You learn,

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on October 03, 2010, 01:55:36 PM
The LA office I threw in the Z to see if anyone was paying attention. ::)

Jim

I'm the only one I guess! Now back to packing. Getting on the Island Princess here in Vancouver tomorrow and 17 days later will arrive in Ft Lauderdale.

Jim Stettler

Sounds like fun. I need to dig out some phones and cloth (maybe take a couple of photos as well) and then back to work tommorrow.
Jim
You live, You learn,

deedubya3800

That is one pain-in-the-butt telephone. :-\

bingster

Ouch, indeed!  I've never seen anybody go that route before.  Usually it's the old "through the plunger hole" method.  He's gonna need a lot of luck to get $50 for that monstrosity.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

donna

Jim Stettler

I think that dial may be from a Charector phone (Mickey, Snoopy, Kermit, Pooh).

Jim
You live, You learn,