News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question. Has Anyone Tried Plasti-Dip on Cords?

Started by DavePEI, July 02, 2015, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Just a random thought I had tonight. Has anyone ever tried Plasti-Dip on otherwise dull but good black cord as a means of refurbishing them? The idea hearkens back to Bell Canada refurbishers sending cords to get died whenever they had a good, but marked up cord. I was wondering if it could bring good, but dull cords back to life.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Very interesting idea. Plasti-Dip right out of the can is kinda thick, and not particularly flexible, so a cord with a Plasti-Dip overcoat might look and feel funny. But I bet that a bit of thinner would work wonders. The MSDS says it contains all sorts of interesting things, and I'm not enough of a chemist to know which one might be used as a thinner, and increase the flexibility of the finished coat at the same time. But I bet our resident chemists could advise.

Nice idea - let us know if you try it.

Bill

TelePlay

Looks like the product thinner would be roughly a mixture of two parts naptha to one part hexane to one part toluene. Quite a cocktail. How much to mix into the PlastiDip for this application would be trial and error testing.

WEBellSystemChristian

Plasti-Dip seems to create drips while it's curing, so it might create drips from the bottom of the loops while it cures.

It is pretty think, too, so it may noe be very good for cords.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 03, 2015, 11:27:04 AM
Plasti-Dip seems to create drips while it's curing, so it might create drips from the bottom of the loops while it cures.

It is pretty think, too, so it may noe be very good for cords.
What I am thinking of is Plasti-Dip spay, which is pre-thinned. Clean the cord first, stretch it our a bit, give it a couple of light thin coats. I haven't tried it yet, but am thinking of doing so.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

Out of curiosity, are the cords you want to freshen up cloth or rubber covered?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: 19and41 on July 10, 2015, 02:20:27 PM
Out of curiosity, are the cords you want to freshen up cloth or rubber covered?
Of course, rubber or plastic covered.
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

I had to ask to make sure.  I use this on my old rubber cords and seals.  I am using it on a pair of EE-8 handset cords, and it does well with rubber cords.  you put a light coat on the surface and let it be for about 3 hours.  Wipe it off and the rubber should feel more rubbery and flexible.  The rubber will absorb some of it and you can reapply it as necessary.  I have not seen any long term detrimental effects from this on rubber, after 30 years of using it.  On plastic, I would wipe it on , then off with a dry cloth immediately.  You can order it online.

http://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

markosjal

Something I have never tried that may well work is typewriter roller cleaner. I un derstand thinner may be much the same but typewriter roller cleaner is designed to remove the outer layer of rubber that has hardened
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish