"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SNET/So. Cal merger?

Started by Sargeguy, November 27, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

This is a weird sign:

OLD BELL SYSTEM PORCELAIN 2 SIDE SIGN AMER TEL AND TELEGRAPH SO. CAL NEW ENGLAND

Looks like someone was not paying attention at ING-RICH one day back in the day!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

What is really odd is that the sign appears to have been issued and seen use. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

I guess someone really had an off-day when they were stacking the signs for printing on each side... ;D

(I had to look at a map of the US to get it though!!)

Fabius

I'm surprised it went for as low as it did. I wish I had seen it.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

It was a BIN and was up for less than an hour.  Although this would have been the perfect solution to your space limitations, Thom, I went ahead and bought it myself.  Sorry!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

you got yourself a great rarity. To the fastest goes the victory.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I'd like to thank my wife's family for being so dysfunctional this Thanksgiving that I had to retreat to the back room with my iPad to check eBay!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Well the "mule" arrived today (USPS just started Sunday delivery apparently) and from the look of it it is entirely authentic.  The yellowish tone that some had mentioned  was a result of poor lighting in the photo.  The surfaces of both sides contain tiny blemishes and are not pristine, they are "near mint".  The areas that are chipped on the flange are convincing they look like authentic old rust, not newly applied, and the grommets are corroded and warped from installation.  There is even some old stain/shellac on the flange.  Here are a few pics:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

A couple more:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Nominated for "Find of the Month"-vote early and vote often :)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

The 1925 Spec doesn't show the 'incorpoarted' mark either.

Could the dual-identity sign not be a mistake, but simply be intended as a sales sample and used at shows or exhibits?

Sargeguy

QuoteCould the dual-identity sign not be a mistake, but simply be intended as a sales sample and used at shows or exhibits?

A couple people suggested that, but why would a sample show two sides that were almost identical?   Also it is stamped "TELCO PROPERTY" so it must have been come into the possession of a telco's inventory at some point.  This would not have happened if it had been a proof or a salesman's sample.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 30, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
QuoteCould the dual-identity sign not be a mistake, but simply be intended as a sales sample and used at shows or exhibits?

A couple people suggested that, but why would a sample show two sides that were almost identical?   Also it is stamped "TELCO PROPERTY" so it must have been come into the possession of a telco's inventory at some point.  This would not have happened if it had been a proof or a salesman's sample.

I don't think I find would find that so strange.  If they had an exhibit in some area, I could understand that all equipment used would simply be shipped back to the distributing house of the area to sort things, repair and restock. The regional Bell company would likely have organized the show.

Sargeguy

Yes, but if it was for a local operating company they would not need one side from a telco on the other coast. 

Just heard back from the seller, he says he sold it for a guy who "found it in a box of Ferrari parts"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409