News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

update on my Princess phone

Started by ldj1002, November 28, 2011, 04:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldj1002

Last week I ask questions about how to connect my Princess phone. I got good info and it is now working. Couple more questions. 1. When I dial it it makes at least 1 of my other phones make a slight ringing noise and it is with the rhythm of the dial returning. 2. There is a little lever switch on back. From what I read I assume it has to do with a night light. The phone dial lights when receiver is picked up and goes out when replaced. It does the same no matter the position of that switch.
Thanks for the help.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: ldj1002 on November 28, 2011, 04:03:12 PM
Last week I ask questions about how to connect my Princess phone. I got good info and it is now working. Couple more questions. 1. When I dial it it makes at least 1 of my other phones make a slight ringing noise and it is with the rhythm of the dial returning. 2. There is a little lever switch on back. From what I read I assume it has to do with a night light. The phone dial lights when receiver is picked up and goes out when replaced. It does the same no matter the position of that switch.
Thanks for the help.

If the other phones in the house have electronic ringers, there may be nothing you can do about the "tinkle" caused by the rotary dial in the Princess.  Older phones with mechanical ringers can be dealt with, but if the others are electronic, you may be stuck with it, since they are not mechanically adjustable, and some of the newer electronic ringers can't seem to differentiate between the 10 pulses per second of dialing and the 20 cycles per second of AC ringing current.

As far as the switch is concerned on the back of the phone, it is a cut off switch for the "dim" mode.  When the phone is on the hook and hung up, the switch toggles between having the bulb glow dimly or turned off entirely.  When the phone is off the hook, the light lights bright no matter which position the switch is in.

This feature was there so that if the phone was in a bedroom, the subscriber could choose whether to have the phone dimly lit as kind of a night light, or not lit at all.
-Bill G

ldj1002

On the phone ringing on the other phone while dialing, it is electronic ringer. That really isn't a problem so long as it doesn't hurt anything. On the night light, mine apparently doesn't work. Maybe it is too dim to see in light. I'll wait till tonight and see if I can see it. I have a clock that projects time on ceiling and in daytime you can't see it but at night it is easy to see. Maybe this phone night light is that way.

jsowers

It's very dim. You should only be able to see it at night. It's just for locating the phone in the dark. Then you pick up the handset and it lights up bright.

If you don't get any dim light at either switch position, it could be a dirty switch. Some contact or tuner cleaner sprayed into the switch might help that.

I'm glad you got your Princess hooked up! Thanks for letting us know.
Jonathan

GG

Or possibly a bad bulb (easily-enough replaced if you have any decent electronics shops around: get a bunch so you have spares), or the AC transformer isn't hooked up to the phone correctly (our local experts on WE Princess can advise).

ldj1002

The night light works, can see it good at night.
Oh, BTW There is no way I would have figgered how to get that finger wheel off. Got it off and downloaded a logo to go there.