News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Your House - Pictures

Started by Netdewt, March 16, 2010, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Yeah those are great pictures!  Retrorenovations.com also has some great pictures of interiors. 

Our place is a bit of a compromise, I would go whole hog retro 60's if I could, while my esposita tones it down and prefers a milder mid century treatment that is not as obvious and mixes modern day stuff into the formula.

AET

One of the few benefits of being single, I do all the decorating.

Quote from: McHeath on March 25, 2010, 11:21:48 PM
Yeah those are great pictures!  Retrorenovations.com also has some great pictures of interiors. 

Our place is a bit of a compromise, I would go whole hog retro 60's if I could, while my esposita tones it down and prefers a milder mid century treatment that is not as obvious and mixes modern day stuff into the formula.
- Tom

mienaichizu

this is the house I designed for my parents, the first photo is the complete facade of the house. the second one is the actual house. only half of the original plan was built because of budget constraints.

Nick in Manitou

Mienaichizu,

That is gorgeous!

Nick in Manitou

Here is a photo of our place and a picture of a view out one direction of an early morning fog.

We were living in Denver and realized that we needed to lower the mortgage or we would never be able to retire.  When the real estate market crashed we looked around and found we could lower the monthly outlay by an appreciable amount and live HERE!  We jumped at the chance!

3 1/2 years and we love it!  Amazing views and very comfortable.  We have lived in A LOT of different places (around 20!) and this is one of our favorites!

(I should also mention that although most folks think we paid a lot more for this house, we actually paid significantly less than AtomicEraTom's place is listed for.  Our timing was right!)

George Knighton

Some of you are a lot braver than I am.

It's one thing to throw a few retro phones around or go on an Art Deco spree in the morning room, but I do not think I'd have the courage to rely on appliances manufactured in the 40's and 50's!!

Underwriters Laboratories has come a long, long way since then!

:-)
Annoying new poster.

twocvbloke

A lot of vintage appliances can be surprisingly efficient despite their age, seeing as they were built in an era where quality over quantity was the thing, and putting the money into the parts they used rather than taking it out to make it cheap and nasty... :)

Looked after properly, they can continue to work safely for many more years... :)

Nick in Manitou

Between 2000 and 2007 we had a "ranch" north of Colorado Springs.  The buildings were some of the original farm/ranch buildings from the late 1800s and early 1900s.  (Out here that is old!)

One of the buildings was an old one-room schoolhouse.  When we arrived it was just a shell of studs and siding that was slipping off its stacked stone foundation.  It was suggested that we just knock it down and get it over with, but we are suckers for old buildings and ended up finishing it up like an old schoolhouse complete with world map and a framed portrait of a stern looking schoolmarm.

We had picked up the telephone booth at an auction and needed someplace fun to put it...

(We made the flooring from a fence on the ranch that was falling down.  We re-milled the fence boards while trying to retain as much of the character that years of exposure to the elements had imparted as possible.)

Although we have never made enough money on our buying and selling of houses to make it worth the effort for the bucks, we have to admit that we have had a "house habit" for most of our lives.  We have had a great time...a jail house in Baltimore, a shack with an outhouse in a State Park in Maryland, being caretakers of another house (with 5 fireplaces) in another State Park in Maryland.  A converted mule barn in Colorado, a great ocean view in California...the list goes on... 

Doug Rose

Nick....your home is beautiful, your view is breath taking. Your pool room is just amazing. Great phone booth to top it off. Perfect!!.....Doug
Kidphone

Nick in Manitou

George Knighton

Quote from: bwanna on March 25, 2010, 06:46:58 PM
i am drooling over the photos on flicker! great resource for the renovations i have going on!

Much of what's shown could be adapted to a modern environment, and much of it is very attractive.  What worries me is retro-kitchen.  I don't think I would be much of a baker or holiday roaster with analogue dials and clockwork timers!  Too much of a chance for error!
Annoying new poster.

twocvbloke

I find that using digital timers for an analogue cooking medium to be rather imprecise, as foodstuff is never as accurate as it appears to be on the labels, so just that little analogue "tweak" to the controls can be enough to make sure the roast is perfect and not under or overdone... :)

And thinking of food is making me hungry... :D

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Nick.  Love the phone booth in the corner.  Can you show a photo of the outside?

Those mountain views are beautiful. 

Nick in Manitou

Dennis,

Thanks for the compliments!

Here are three photos of the school house at our old ranch.

The first two show the building as it was before we renovated it.  We made a real attempt to preserve the weathered look of the outside while preserving the wood so that it would not continue to deteriorate in the weather.

Unfortunately the only photos we have of the outside with the new windows and salvaged antique door, have them in bright white primer.

The main house can be seen in the background of the 2nd photo and is off to the right in the third photo.

In the second photo, the black thing on the end of the school house is a bat box...this gave the bats a place to live after I tightened up the building.  They are great to have around - but not inside!

Dennis Markham

Thank you for the added photos, Nick.  Very nice.  It is very picturesque.  Do you know how long it's been since it was used as a school house?  I've never heard of a bat box.  Interesting.