News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D-1 202

Started by Dan/Panther, September 18, 2008, 04:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Does the D-1 202 have a built in ringer ?
If not what do you need  to do for ringer ?
Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill

Mine does not. The ringer is in the subset. As you can see in your Charter Member signature pic, there isn't a lot of space in the base.

Bill

bingster

You need a subset (bell box) for that one, Dan.  You know how we're always telling people that a ground is the other half of their antenna?  It's the same with a telephone subset--it's the other half of the phone.  It contains the ringer, but more importantly it contains the network.  

Hooking up a D1 base (or earlier) phone directly to the wall will eventually leave the handset nearly mute, because too much current runs through the handset, demagnetizing the receiver.

I can't remember the whole list of subsets that will be suitable, but I remember they include the 634, 684, and 685 subsets.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Bravo, bingster, that's a very nice description of a subset!  I was composing my own explanation when yours was posted, but yours hits it right on the head.

bingster

Thanks, Mark.  I should also mention that you don't really need a subset if you have a junker telephone laying around.  You can disconnect the dial and handset cord, and connect your phone to the junker's network.  It will act as a subset.  Somewhere I have instructions on what to hook up, where, if you want to try this route.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
So basically the post D-1 202 phones with ringers, are just the basic D-1 202 design with the ringer  section and subset built in  ?

Dan/Panther

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 18, 2008, 01:45:37 PM
So basically the post D-1 202 phones with ringers, are just the basic D-1 202 design with the ringer  section and subset built in  ?

Pretty much so!  (bingster, correct me if I'm wrong)  The 202 was followed by the 302, which was Western Electric's first "combined" telephone, with the network, ringer, switch-hook and dial (if applicable) all in a single housing.

Dan/Panther

Has anyone ever tried to make a miniature transistorised subset, with a peizo speaker, and ringer simulated sound, that could be mounted inside the phone.

Dan/Panther

bingster

Yep, they do make them, and it's fairly common to see "restored" 202s on eBay with these installed.   They are tiny miniature networks, and they're normally glued to the bottom plates of 202s, to replace the network usually found only in a subset.  Some of them have electronic ringers in them, too.  Here's one:

http://phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=misc&category=Net&topic=01003
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: bingster on September 18, 2008, 02:37:52 PM
Yep, they do make them, and it's fairly common to see "restored" 202s on eBay with these installed.   They are tiny miniature networks, and they're normally glued to the bottom plates of 202s, to replace the network usually found only in a subset.  Some of them have electronic ringers in them, too.

But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the bylaws of this forum prohibit the use of such blatantly high-tech (and foreign!) items in a fine piece of vintage American telephony like a 202...
Right, bingster?  :D

Dan/Panther

Well there goes cornering the market on that idea.
I agree, pure Blashphemy to install such an item..

Dan/Panther

bingster

Quote from: Mark Stevens on September 18, 2008, 02:46:00 PM
But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the bylaws of this forum prohibit the use of such blatantly high-tech (and foreign!) items in a fine piece of vintage American telephony like a 202...
Right, bingster?  :D

I would certainly hope so. ;D
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Does the manufacturer of that sacreligious item include wiring directions, in case some lost sole would ever want to use one, heaven forbid ???

Dan/Panther

bingster

Not sure about that, Dan.  That particular site is loaded with good stuff, but the pictures are horrible, and the descriptions even worse.  Here's another supplier, with better pics:

http://oldphoneworks.com/network-mini.html

And instructions are available on the internet.  I'll track 'em down shortly.
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 18, 2008, 03:25:52 PM
Does the manufacturer of that sacreligious item include wiring directions, in case some lost sole would ever want to use one, heaven forbid ???

We're watching you D/P, watching you real close...