News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Edison-Style Bulbs in a New Form...

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 27, 2016, 08:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I think we all like the really cool Edison light bulbs, but with incandescent bulbs going away, they will probably get more and more expensive. Well, yesterday, we replaced the burned-out 100 wat bulb serving as our front door light with an Edison-type bulb...

In LED!!!

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, it looked completely real! The picture doesn't lie, it looks just like that lit up! The one we got is only 7 wats, compared to probably around 75 wats for an incandescent type.

Wasn't there someone here that was going to get one to use on a bulletin board? The only problem is that the fillaments are yellow when turned off in daylight.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Buzby

What wizardry is this? Who is this Edison bloke, and why is he knocking off Sir Joseph Swan's invention? With LED's??? Sound like the work of Satan! :)

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Buzby on January 27, 2016, 09:43:17 PM
What wizardry is this? Who is this Edison bloke, and why is he knocking off Sir Joseph Swan's invention? With LED's??? Sound like the work of Satan! :)
Wizardry, indeed, Good Sir!

Please note, if you have not, how the lamps illuminate without being attached to a source of power!

(Harrumph, cough, yes, quite, harrumph!) ;)

Most disturbing, if you were to ask me!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

I'm already waaaaaaay ahead of you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKjE3EYRsMA - DX.com LED filament bulbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O39XFuHxAGg - Fixing the "Lantern" LED filament bulb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyL03ZXuekg - Banggood.com LED filament bulbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5TLJGym44g - More Banggood.com LED filament bulbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiSXZUbpFlI - Repairing a Banggood filament bulb

Have bought a few more since I made the videos, they're quite hit-and-miss with the quality, but, I love these inventions, they look like traditional bulbs, they light up like traditional bulbs, and, best of all, they fit properly in fittings that use traditional light bulbs!!! ;D

HarrySmith

I think we might have a couple of members who fit the bill for this TV show on collecting:

I'm currently Producing a show for TLC  that features children who have a passion for collecting. I was wondering if you know any kids who have a sizable collection of telephones? If you can think of anyone who would be interested in appearing on our show, I would greatly appreciate it if you could connect me with their parents to discuss the show further.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Take care,
Erica Zienowicz
Sharp Entertainment  | Coordinating Producer
o: 212.994.2235 | c: 401.862.9688
ericaz@sharpentertainment.com <mailto:erin.gould@sharpentertainment.com>
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

LED's are all the rage right now..... the price continues to drop..... once the marked is flooded with the LED lamps incandescent will slowly disappear... if it hasn't already.... LED it great for municipalities (street lights, Etc.) but for home use.... Hmmm.... I'm not totally sold.... the color rendition is not all the way there and they are too expensive for me... the CFL's are even problematic when it comes to intensity. I'm finding Halogen is working for me.... especially when working on phones.... can't see a damned thing under normal lighting.... so for me.... LED's are only for specific uses. 
John

twocvbloke

A lot of the newer COB LEDs are pretty much on par with incandescent lighting now, and the light output is pretty impressive, I got an LED candle bulb in a box o' crap I got off ebay a few months back, and it now lives in the living room as the light is far better than the CFL it replaced, colour rendition is excellent, power usage is tiny, and the cost is falling a lot... :)

The LED filaments I like though for their decorative appearances, the ones I have aren't great for colour rendition, but are great at light output and of course fit in light fittings that have had to suffer from small, dull CFLs as the average CFL was too long to fit... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 27, 2016, 08:38:43 PM
I think we all like the really cool Edison light bulbs, but with incandescent bulbs going away, they will probably get more and more expensive. Well, yesterday, we replaced the burned-out 100 wat bulb serving as our front door light with an Edison-type bulb...

In LED!!!

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, it looked completely real! The picture doesn't lie, it looks just like that lit up! The one we got is only 7 wats, compared to probably around 75 wats for an incandescent type.

Those are cool! And they run cool since a hot filament is not the source of light.

My cats prefer the old Edison buklbs, they like laying under those I have in work lights that reflect the heat toward them.

Anyone know if these LED's operate in a vacuum, or partial vacuum or is the inside just an inert gas?

Anyone find or have a spectrum of the light they emit?

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on January 29, 2016, 07:44:57 AMAnyone know if these LED's operate in a vacuum, or partial vacuum or is the inside just an inert gas?

Anyone find or have a spectrum of the light they emit?

I believe they're in a vacuum, but some may not be, the ones of mine which I've broken (I'm clumsy at times!!) have made a distinct pop like a traditional bulb, one I replaced the ES base for a BC base I broke the vacuum stem on and it made a hiss, so they do indeed do something to them... :)

As for the spectrum output, you'd have to look at specific models as they're not all identical, they use similar phosphors to fluorescent tubes, but suspended in a silicone gel applied over blue LED chips, of which are at a wavelength close to UV light, which causes the gel to fluoresce, the ones I've had are very variable so couldn't provide a decent spectrum...